• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How do I plumb this thing?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Tony said nipple. Twice.

Matt

For a drip plate, I would use eggcrate with poret filter sitting on top.

The bulkheads should have a barbed-nipple piece that slides into the bulkhead itself. These should be glued into the bulkhead. The tubing will slip over the nipple and you should use a hose clamp to secure.

(EDIT - posted the same time as Matt)

creepyoldguy

Members
You could find the non kink black tubing in the sump pump section at hardware stores, or if you have primer and glue, you could hard plumb your drains using PVC.

I may have missed it, but what are you stocking your tank? Your tank is drilled and is capable of using the herbie overflow method, which is absolutely silent and let's you have a larger return pump. For you, this may be a little more of a challenge

For your sump- I've seen this set up before where people have holes drilled in the side and use bulkheads that run into a PVC w many 1/4" holes drilled through out the pipe. This type if pipe eliminates the need for a drip plate

I love the DIY stuff about sumps and plumbing because you can set it up to your liking and it's a lot cheaper than buying new stuff from the fish store

Diogenes

Members
went to lowes and the LFS in annandale. I got some acrylic cut and it looks like once I drill holes it will work. I need on of those blades for scoring so i can take the scrap acrylic and make a patch for the holes on the side. What kind of adhesive should I use? acrylic on acrylic.

I also found some non-kink hose. I took my bulkheads for reference and the bigger one slipped loosely into 1.5 inch tube, the smaller was .75 inch. Does that sound about right? Will a hose clamp tighten that down considerably? I didn't buy the hose because I dont need 60$ worth of hose and marine depot sells it by the foot. I figured I was just order like 3 ft or so of each size, some hose clamps, and any other plumbing you guys recommend from them What kind of hose is good for a return pipe? more no kink?

photo4-1.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

photo6-1.jpg

That Herbie Method link is pretty slick. Especially how it essentially stops overflow during a power outage with how little water can be taken down before the intake will hit air.

creepyoldguy

Members
Tony- THe herbie method is amazing, and even better, amazingly simple! Maybe I'll snap some pics of my 300 set up tonight to show how easy it really is. I'm not kidding when I say I can't hear it!

The trick with the herbie is getting a full syphon. On any normal durso, you have air and water falling down the stand pipes, where herbie, you only have water. It's unbelievable how much space air uses.

It's cost effective as well. If you're looking to do it, pm or I can try to write up a simple step by step.

Diogenes- Good start on your work today! We'll get you through this no problem at all!

I had to patch an acrylic sump that I had dropped anad cracked. I went to Rick's Fish and Pets in Frederick, Md and bought WELD-ON #16 clear, medium bodied solvent cement. It was $17 ( I was in a pinch and I'm sure theres something else out there cheaper that works just as good). This patched my sump up just fine.

For your return (from the pump outlet to the tank), I would just getsome clear .75" hose from Lowes or Home Depot. Your non-kink flex pipe will work for your return. Just make sure to get hose clamps for both so the hoses won't slide off.

Keep everyone updated. I've found over time that my favorite part of the hobby is setting up tanks and the DIY aspect of it. Possibilties are endless and everyone has a little different way of doing things. You'll realize how simple everything is once you do this for the first time, and then you'll wonder why you didnt do sumps a long time ago!

creepyoldguy

Members
I can't say for sure that it will or will not be safe. I have used other types of solvents/cements with no bad effects. If you decide to use it, let it dry cometely and set the tank up and let the water cycle for a day or so, drain it and refill to be safe. You should be ok; keyword: SHOULD. I dont want to be responsible for anything!

How is the rest of the plumbing coming along!?!?

Diogenes

Members
I can't say for sure that it will or will not be safe. I have used other types of solvents/cements with no bad effects. If you decide to use it, let it dry cometely and set the tank up and let the water cycle for a day or so, drain it and refill to be safe. You should be ok; keyword: SHOULD. I dont want to be responsible for anything!

How is the rest of the plumbing coming along!?!?

I am kind of stuck ATM. I have to order some stuff to actually plumb. I had a question actually. So of I put a tape on a bulkhead and measure how does that correlate to size of tubing to order? Also I'm going to have to drill a hole in the top to place a bulkhead or elbow how do I figure out what size bulkhead I need for the drilled hole?

I am just going to get some weld on 16 I can order it from sears. Can't find it locally anywhere.

creepyoldguy

Members
What do you have to order? Loses or home depot should have everything you need to plumb this up. Up in Hagerstown, lowes has a better plumbing section

To measure for PVC, measure the inside diameter of the bulkhead, or just measure the actual drill hole in the bottom of the tank. For example, a 1" bulkhead inside diameter should measure just over 1" ( can't remember exact measurement at the moment) because the PVC pipe slides into the bulkhead and the inside diameter of the PVC will be the actual 1". If for some reason you don't trust your measuring, just take the bulkheads w you and find a piece if PVC that fits. It's as simple as putting together a puzzle

Here's a list that may get you started

PVC pipe
Non kink corrugated hose(drain line)
Clear hose for return line(pump to tank)
Hose clamps
Primer and glue for PVC
90s for the top of the sump
Maybe some couplers (depends on how you want to build your drains)
Couple nipples to slide your return line over at the pump and the bulkhead to the tank

That should b a good start. I'm probably forgetting something but it's a good start. And you could get the setup running w out finishing the lid if you really want. You could fasten or clamp the drains to the side of the sump but that depends on how much of a hurry you're in to get it done
-

Diogenes

Members
I was going to order the hose because I need two different sizes and I need some power foam. They sell the hose at hd but only in like a 20' roll. I don't need that much and I'd rather not spend 60 bucks on hose that I don't need. Also I thought I needed bulkheads to make the top. I'm going to use 2 drain pipes. like this:
attachment.php

creepyoldguy

Members
I thought you mentioned that you already had the bulk heads?

What size are the holes drilled in the tank? Chances are one is for a drain and one is for a return. This is like a 90g right?

Diogenes

Members
I already have the drain bulkheads from tank to sump, but I thought I needed one for the sump cover. I'm going to call you to talk about this. I'm at. Breast-feeding class without he wife at the moment and I went back to work today so I haven't had much time.

Diogenes

Members
Haha no I was typing quickly with the iPhone. I was with the wife. I'm not an LC but I am a nurse. I did a rotation on l&d in school and I've taught new moms how to breastfeed before.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Haha no I was typing quickly with the iPhone. I was with the wife. I'm not an LC but I am a nurse. I did a rotation on l&d in school and I've taught new moms how to breastfeed before.

I was going to reply to this one but it was just too easy.

George