• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How did the AM2 auction logistics go for you?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I just wanted to say thanks for everyone who made this auction a success. I was very pleased with how smoothly things ran.

Thanks to Manuel and Jesse for picking up 2 of the shipments.

Thanks to Jon, Tony, and others who had the rack and tanks already set up when I got there Friday night.

Thanks to all of the members and vendors who donated fish, we had an amazing selection of great fish.

Thanks to everyone who helped pitch in and bag fish prior to the auction. We had about 50+ lots bagged in under an hour, and were done before Anton's talk. I was very impressed with the teamwork and volunteers.

Thanks to Jon, Andrew, and Kurt for running the auction and keeping things in order.

Thanks to Jason for running the AV equipment.

Thanks to all of the runners who ran the fish.

Thanks to Christine and Jim for handling the payment process and keeping everyone happy.

Thanks to Tony, Jon, Pat and others who helped break the rack down after the auction.

Finally, thanks to all of the bidders who helped us raise a nice chunk of money for the club, the BABES, and the Guy Jordan Fund. Everyone seemed to be pleased with their purchases.

After looking over the list of people to thank, its obvious this was a group effort. CCA is such a great club when its members all step up to work towards a common cause.

I'll let others comment, as I was on the inside looking out, but any and all comments are appreciated.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Thank *YOU* Michael for coordinating the group buys, picking some of them up and arranging for others (Jesse and Manuel - thanks to you as well!) to pick up a couple shipments. It seemed like a well-oiled machine.

On topic, I like the idea of going with bidder cards -OR- cash-on-receipt-of-bag option. You either have a bidder card or cash or you do not get the lot. This will reduce sign-up and check-out times and is a solution for those that do not have a proper ID.

Payment to sellers will be done via check for pickup at the next meeting or for a nominal fee, can be mailed to you. The nominal fee part is not to make money, but to avoid a situation where our treasurer has to mail out 35 checks every month. This is merely my suggestion though and not necessarily what the board decides.

All-in-all, an awesome night! If you missed it you certainly missed out. Incredible fish selling at great prices.

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone who made this auction a success. I was very pleased with how smoothly things ran.

Thanks to Manuel and Jesse for picking up 2 of the shipments.

Thanks to Jon, Tony, and others who had the rack and tanks already set up when I got there Friday night.

Thanks to all of the members and vendors who donated fish, we had an amazing selection of great fish.

Thanks to everyone who helped pitch in and bag fish prior to the auction. We had about 50+ lots bagged in under an hour, and were done before Anton's talk. I was very impressed with the teamwork and volunteers.

Thanks to Jon, Andrew, and Kurt for running the auction and keeping things in order.

Thanks to Jason for running the AV equipment.

Thanks to all of the runners who ran the fish.

Thanks to Christine and Jim for handling the payment process and keeping everyone happy.

Thanks to Tony, Jon, Pat and others who helped break the rack down after the auction.

Finally, thanks to all of the bidders who helped us raise a nice chunk of money for the club, the BABES, and the Guy Jordan Fund. Everyone seemed to be pleased with their purchases.

After looking over the list of people to thank, its obvious this was a group effort. CCA is such a great club when its members all step up to work towards a common cause.

I'll let others comment, as I was on the inside looking out, but any and all comments are appreciated.

Forester

Members
More of a contractual obligation thing I was thinking of... who is responsible if someone bails or gets in over their heads? When there is meaningful collateral, thats one thing... but if there is no collateral, or a parent says "hell no we arent paying.. you cant hold a minor accountable" what do we do? Not saying that minors are the only ones who would do this at all.. but again... what is meaningful collateral to them? Hold their cell phone hostage? ;P

And I really liked the idea mentioned of a prepay system... seems like maybe a good idea for adults on a budget as well. Maybe a lot of work for someone though...

Hell, since we are brainstorming right now, what about offering the option of taking paypal accounts and invoicing for payment instead of paying at the auction? Seems this would help to ease the end-of-auction crush? Since you would have the weight of paypal's legal department to enforce non payment, may even ease the need to take ID and check people out? I'd even be willing to swallow the 2.9% + $.30 fee as a convenience tax. Just a thought...
+1 I would love to be able to pay with PayPal cause that's how I buy and sell just about everything

lkelly

Members
I thought the auction logistics were terrible. Other people bid more than I could on the fish I was interested in. Next year let's have none of that. Tell those people that the auction is on Wed. night at 3:00 a.m. Problem solved.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I thought the auction logistics were terrible. Other people bid more than I could on the fish I was interested in. Next year let's have none of that. Tell those people that the auction is on Wed. night at 3:00 a.m. Problem solved.

Best laugh I've had all day, Lane! :lol:

Thanks for coming.

lkelly

Members
Perhaps moving the auction to much later in the night will help keep those meddling kids from winning fish that we grownups really, really need. I mean some of those kids have, what, 60 or 70 years left? At the rate I'm blowing money in this hobby I might have a shaky 3 years before my wife bags me up and puts me in the freezer to humanely end it.

And that's if I'm lucky. She might be considering the old flush down the toilet. Since I made her sleep in that jacked up heat sweat box of a hotel room (the African cichlids in those 10 gallon tanks said thanks!), the toilet option may be the front runner.

dogofwar

CCA Members
:D

Perhaps moving the auction to much later in the night will help keep those meddling kids from winning fish that we grownups really, really need. I mean some of those kids have, what, 60 or 70 years left? At the rate I'm blowing money in this hobby I might have a shaky 3 years before my wife bags me up and puts me in the freezer to humanely end it.

And that's if I'm lucky. She might be considering the old flush down the toilet. Since I made her sleep in that jacked up heat sweat box of a hotel room (the African cichlids in those 10 gallon tanks said thanks!), the toilet option may be the front runner.

Forester

Members

But then wed be so tired that we wouldn't realize how much we were spending on fish :D