• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help! Bad impeller on aquarium filter?

a4andrew

Members
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me to troubleshoot.

I have a Penguin Biowheel 350 Hang on filter that has no suction and it's impeller has become very noisy. I have cleaned it out thoroughly. And after trying to refit it dozens of times, it will not run as it should. It remains noisy and rattling without suction - rendering it useless. I can only imagine the impeller has gone bad, but it looks fine to me.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Shane

Members
The impellers do not go "bad" as much as the rubber on the ends becomes old and no longer hold the impeller tight. This causes the rattling sound and loss of suction power.

You'll need a new impeller.

-Shane

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Rubber?

What rubber? Does yours still have one?

He's right. Until and unless someone makes an impeller that uses a tiny little sealed bearing instead or performs a redesign, it'll always be the weakest link in the system.

The magnet can also become unglued from the plastic shaft core. This will cause the magnet to spin independently of the impeller blades.

But the correct answer to fix it is to buy a new impeller.

Andy

Hawkman2000

Members
Had the same problem with my 350. The impeller is available at either BigAlsOnline or PetMountain for around 12 bucks. I decided to get a Fluval C-4 instead. If you do order a new impeller, I recommend getting the biological cartridges as well. You can fill them with Seachem matrix and triple you biological load.

a4andrew

Members
If it's only the rubber ends/caps that I need, does anyone know how I can just get those. It seems paying $15+ for a new impeller would be rather unnecessary (yeah, I'd admit, I'm cheap). :)

Scorp1us

Members
I have no idea what you are talking about, however you might want to try mcmaster.com and look for food grade bearings and improve the design yourself.

a4andrew

Members
Looking at the impeller closer, I find no wear on the rubber ends. I tried to pull them off with my fingers, but they won't budge.

Hawkman2000

Members
That seems to be the sign that they are bad. I can take them off on my other one, and it runs fine.The shaft might be worn out as well.

Imaginary

Members
How long have you had this filter? If you call the company and haven't had it too long, they might replace it for free.

Shane

Members
The rubber does not "wear" as much as it hardens over time. Once hard it does not seat correctly. They ast about 5-7 years. Longer in softwater than hard water. I have no understanding why but it is true.

a4andrew

Members
BigAlsOnline didn't have the impeller in stock so I splurged and just bought a new one $37.49 - $10 MIR = $27.49 as opposed to $13 for just the impeller. I had more than enough stuff lying around, now, I've added to it :) It was in fact a worn out impeller. The old one had gotten "hard" rubber caps, whereas the new one has grippier rubber caps. I had bought the previous one used and had been running it for over 3 years. If someone knows where I can buy grippy rubber caps, let me know.

countryboy

Banned
If it's only the rubber ends/caps that I need, does anyone know how I can just get those. It seems paying $15+ for a new impeller would be rather unnecessary (yeah, I'd admit, I'm cheap). :)
I have never seen those for sale. $15 is alot of money. I had sand substrate and the sand kept getting in the impeller. I finally bought a canister with the pump on top.:eek: