• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heater query

Freakgecko

Members
I go with Titanium.
I wont get aqueon pro any more. Had to many crack on me.

Just had another one fail on me. I’ve started relying on Eheim Jager and Aquatops (cheap and have been decent so far). I’ve thrown away WAY too many Aqueons

CichlidDan

Members
Just had another one fail on me. I’ve started relying on Eheim Jager and Aquatops (cheap and have been decent so far). I’ve thrown away WAY too many Aqueons
Oh wow I’ve never used the pros was thinking about it if one of the normal aqueons stopped working, thanks for sharing your experience I will pass on the pros.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I've had varying experiences with heaters, and don't use many, but have started using controllers recently for the tanks I am heating. I have 2 different Inkbird controllers I got from Amazon for around $35, and both have worked great so far. Some controllers can be cost prohibitive.

Goonie

CCA Members
With the shatter proof aqueons I have had a lot of issues with the 100Ws but zero out of the 300ws. I think I have 6 of the 300Ws running now without issue. The 100W I have had not work out of the box, and the calibration for them can be a bit of a pain as well. I may try the aquatops for some small tanks I'm setting up soon and see how they do.

The E series is my go to heat treating a tank, the only issues I have had with them was flow rate issues through the cover, but that was a tank issue more than a heater issue.

Freakgecko

Members
With the shatter proof aqueons I have had a lot of issues with the 100Ws but zero out of the 300ws. I think I have 6 of the 300Ws running now without issue. The 100W I have had not work out of the box, and the calibration for them can be a bit of a pain as well. I may try the aquatops for some small tanks I'm setting up soon and see how they do.

The E series is my go to heat treating a tank, the only issues I have had with them was flow rate issues through the cover, but that was a tank issue more than a heater issue.

I’ve had literally 4 of the 300W pros fail lol

Goonie

CCA Members
Lol wow. I guess I have been lucky, they are the ones I keep as spares ( picked up 6 from chewy on sale at 19 bucks a pop a while back) now you have made ma paranoid, gonna unbox and test them all this week end lol

Freakgecko

Members
Lol wow. I guess I have been lucky, they are the ones I keep as spares ( picked up 6 from chewy on sale at 19 bucks a pop a while back) now you have made ma paranoid, gonna unbox and test them all this week end lol
Lol every heater brand has its issues. I’ve just had poor luck with pros. Just had my 180 spike up to 86 degrees because of a thermostat failure. Usually they stop heating, this one just didn’t turn off

Goonie

CCA Members
I have that paranoia with all heaters, that's why I run the fluval Es in most of my tanks with the pros, the blue green red light thing is a huge peace of mind thing quick looks to check them all 3 times a day :) the only tank I run a controller on is my 185

Lol every heater brand has its issues. I’ve just had poor luck with pros. Just had my 180 spike up to 86 degrees because of a thermostat failure. Usually they stop heating, this one just didn’t turn off

Tangcollector

Staff member
I agree with Becca, Eheim (or Aquatop) with a controller. If it quits you will probably be ok depending on the fish. But when they stick ,not good.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I've had good luck with a few, but bad luck with a lot, doesn't seem to fit a specific pattern. I've just learned that using a controller is the safest bet, even the most expensive ones can fail, and sometimes the cheapest work fine. I won't trust used heaters, I use a space heater in the fishroom and keep a close eye on the few tanks that are heated.

Goonie

CCA Members
Ive been thinking of the space heater approach just to try to keep my basement a few degrees warmer than it is. basement is around 10-12 degrees cooler than I keep most of my tanks.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Ive been thinking of the space heater approach just to try to keep my basement a few degrees warmer than it is. basement is around 10-12 degrees cooler than I keep most of my tanks.
It works well in small spaces, but can be tougher if the space is larger, or wide open. The summer is a fight since we're running AC, but if I close the vent, I don't get enough circulation and humidity goes up, so in the summer I'll rotate the space heater with a fan and dehumidifier. I found out that circuit can't handle the load of both at the same time.