• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Gold Ocellatus Tank Mates

chriscoli

Administrator
And for the most part, petricolas are interchangeable with lucipinnis. There's discussion among the catfish folks that all petricolas in the hobby are really lucipinnis. So if you find either you're fine.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
So the concensus seems to be that the Nigripinnis would be a good choice. It also seems that synodontis would be a good option if I want a bottom feeder. I can tell you that I do nothing to change my pH in any of my tanks and my plecos do just fine, breeding weekly if I let them. I don't know that the pH would be a problem, but the Julies, Ocellatus, and the Nigripinnis may nip at them from what you guys are saying. If that is the case, won't the syno's get nipped too?

Am I on the right track here?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
How bad are the synos with fry? Is it something I will have to worry about a lot with the shellies? The Julies I'm not so concerned about. I don't want 1000 Julidochromis anyway. But the Ocellatus are rather popular and I'm sure I can find people on here and on aquabid who would gladly take some once I get them going.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Synodontis petricolas sound like something cool. I've never kept them before, so I'm a bit hesitant. I don't normally do catfish outside of plecos and cories. Someone who has experience please put my mind at ease. Also, if anyone has experience with them eating fry, I would like to know about it. I don't want baby ocellatus getting chomped.

chriscoli

Administrator
Don't know about their fry eating habits but I think they're fantastic. Lots of action if you get a good size group.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
4? 6? 8? Keep in mind this is a 75 Gallon with 11 Ocellatus Gold and 8 Julidochromis Dickfeldi. I may also add the Nigripinnis, so I don't want to overstock the tank. I'd rather stay slightly understocked if possible.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
So they are much like cories in this aspect. If you keep cories in small groups, they don't do nearly as well and don't have half as much fun as when they are in larger groups. Okay. So if I go with 6-8 of them, then where does that leave me for numbers of P. Nigripinnis?

Tangcollector

Staff member
I would expect that Dave's Rare fish to have both the cats and the Nigripinnis. If he is out of them I'm sure he will be able to get them. Also it would not surprise me if the synodontis munch eggs if given the opportunity.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Thanks for all of the advice guys and gals. I will email Dave and see if he can get me some P. Nigripinnis. Still looking for how many I should get.