• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Gold Ocellatus Tank Mates

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
So many of you may know me from my EBJD breeding issues. Since I am in school and have been at that two years with little success, I am going to be keeping one tank with the Blue Gene Jacks that I still have, and converting the other standard 75 gallon to a shell dweller tank. The main inhabitants will be shellies, but I was wondering if any of you have kept them successfully with rock dwellers. I would like to do a tank with the shellies in the foreground and a rock wall in the rear with rock dwellers. I'm also interested in knowing if any of you have kept any algae eaters or plecos with shell or rock dwellers. They would occupy similar tank space, so I'm worried there might be clashes. Any ideas or thoughts are welcome. I have kept many African species, but these will be my first African dwarf cichlids and my first go at shellies or rockies.

Cory

zendog

Hi,

I know there are folks here that keep shellies, but perhaps they keep them in species tanks so might not have your specific answer.

I don't have shellies, but certainly plan to try some at some point. In the meantime, I have 3 tanks with some Tangs. I have 2 15 gallons, each with what I think is a pair of Julidochromis Marlieri. I got them as a group of 4 and there is at least one pair among them that spawned for the previous owner, so I may need to put them all together again in a bigger tank if I don't see any spawning with my guessed pairs. My plan is to keep a pair in a 20 long eventually. Sexing them is tough. Anyway, from what I see of my Julies and others I've owned, I don't think you should have any trouble with putting them with shellies in a 75. They'll stay among your rock work and the shellies will stay with their shells.

In a 40 breeder I have a pair of Eretmodus, 7 Calvus (about 2 inches average) and a trio of Xenotilapia bathyphilus "Kekese". Based on what I see in the tank, the Calvus would probably work in the rocks as well, at least until they get big enough to eat the shellies, but you would loose a lot if not all shelly fry to them. The Eretomodus range all around and are a lot of fun, but probably too rough. The Xenos are really very gentle fish (for cichlids) and a lot of fun to watch sift through the sand. If you had a lot of sand areas remaining, there are several types of Xenos you might consider. They're not really territorial, but just roam around. Since they're mouth brooders it would give you a different spawning behavior to watch and you could strip some females if you wanted to keep fry.

To me, I think the shellies (maybe broken up into a few shell beds for interest), plus some Julies and something like xenos or possibly paracyprichromis to range around between would make a great 75.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Thanks for the feedback guys and gals. I ordered some Julidochromis Dickfeldi to go in this tank. I am having trouble finding Gold Ocellatus. I am waiting for an email back from an AquaBid seller. I'm going to get a dozen if he actually has them.

maddog10

Members
Thanks for the feedback guys and gals. I ordered some Julidochromis Dickfeldi to go in this tank. I am having trouble finding Gold Ocellatus. I am waiting for an email back from an AquaBid seller. I'm going to get a dozen if he actually has them.

Did you check with Steve at Valley Aquatics? That is where I got mine from, not sure if I got the last ones though.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Got an email back from AquaBid guy. He has them. I'm getting 10 from him, which should be enough. I'm hoping to get 2-3 pairs. Shells will be here today. Fish get here next week. Thanks for the lead though. I may be needing more depending on how the pairing goes.

rsretep

Members
I have kept goldies with Julidochromis transcripts in a forty breeder with no real problems, did rock pile 2/3 of the tank and the rest for the shell bed

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Okay, so I've got both the gold ocellatus and the julies at the bottom third of the tank. Does anyone know of any top or middle/top swimming fish that would not interfere with the julies and shellies but give the top of the tank some movement?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
It's a 75g gallon standard tank by the way. Temp is 80-81 degrees. pH is 7.6-7.8. 80% water change in anticipation of new fish last week. All parameters are perfect. The tank has been established for over a year.

Tangcollector

Staff member
Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis would be good. but not with Cyprochromis. Some ventralis might work also. Possibly a Pulcher or brichardi (but not a pair, single only)

maddog10

Members
Yeah, Cyps wouldn't be good in a 75. The ones I have are in a 6 foot 180. I used to keep Paracyp. Nigripinnis, they are nice fish.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
If I kept Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis or a group of Calvus, they occupy the same area as my Julidochromis Dickfeldi. I have 10 Ocellatus Gold, 8 Julies, and nothing else right now. I want something that will stay high up or something that will hold its own when the Julies pair off. If you think the P. Nigripinnis are good. Maybe I'll try them. Do you guys think BN plecos would do okay with the two I have in there now?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Also, none of my fish eat food off of the bottom. They eat it as it sinks and then leave it alone. Anyone ever experienced this?

chriscoli

Administrator
One of our speakers once described a setup where the tank had a high pile of rocks on one end and open swimming area in the middle and other end. He stocked (and bred) daffodils and julies simultaneously. The daffodils tend to stay in the open water, and while they need a csve for spawning, they tend to herd the babies away from the rocks. The julies tended to heard their babies into the rocks, so there was relatively little confrontation between the two.

chriscoli

Administrator
I personally am not a fan of keeping BNs with tangs. There may be competition for caves and although the BNs are pretty well armored, they will get their whiskers picked at by some fish. Also, I've seen some get weird sores, presumably from the high pH. Yes, they tolerate it, but it's not their happy place.

Have you considered a Synodontis like lucipinnis or multipunctatus?

Tangcollector

Staff member
My experience is that the Nigripinnis stay up high.. Calvus are great but they occupy the same space as the Julies and as far as bottom feeders Synodontis petricolas are amazing. A fairly small syno but if you want breeding, The Calvus and the synos are fry munchers for sure. Cyprochromis are cool too but they can get nasty that is why I would never keep them with Nigiripinnis. Also Frank breeds some awesome petricolas. Pulchers and Brichardi's are good but they can get real nasty when the pair off and take over a tank. They are great parents and you will end up with Lots of them.