• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS CA and SA fish and 125G AGA setup

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
That certainly is the suck, Jose. I wish there was something we could do about this.

verbal

CCA Members
I think you are doing the right thing in following the extremely misguided(and possibly misinterpreted) regulations. However I would be inclined to try to get things changed.

The first place I would start is with the HOA board. Do you know any of the members? If you have on good terms with one of them, I would start discussing it with them.

The best case scenario is they agree and take up changing the regulations to explicitly allow "pet" fish. Even if they won't be active, they may give you a feeling of how the board stands on this issue. If the opposition to keeping aquariums is not that strong, you might be able to get things changed just by showing up at a board meeting. If the board is more divided, you might consider serving on the board and influencing the regulations yourself. If the opposition is strong and broad, you might go straight to a legal challenge(or threatening one).

I can think of a number of reasons that a condo association would not want pets(noise, smell, allergies, damage to units, biting people, etc). However none of them really apply to aquariums. One advantage to the condo association of allowing aquariums is they make people more established, which is important in a condo community.

Here is my joke suggestion:

You should get a doctor to write you a prescription for an aquarium to lower your blood pressure. You should be able to get "high blood pressure" if you exercise right before your blood pressure is measured. I am sure they can't apply the pet ban to seeing eye dogs.

YSS

Members

You should get a doctor to write you a prescription for an aquarium to lower your blood pressure. You should be able to get "high blood pressure" if you exercise right before your blood pressure is measured. I am sure they can't apply the pet ban to seeing eye dogs.

I think this may have some merits. It may be worth looking in to it.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Those green terrors were sweet! Sorry to hear about the HOA issue, maybe something can be worked out. Otherwise, hopefully CCA can help find good homes for everyone.

F8LBITE

Members
I think you are doing the right thing in following the extremely misguided(and possibly misinterpreted) regulations. However I would be inclined to try to get things changed.

The first place I would start is with the HOA board. Do you know any of the members? If you have on good terms with one of them, I would start discussing it with them.

The best case scenario is they agree and take up changing the regulations to explicitly allow "pet" fish. Even if they won't be active, they may give you a feeling of how the board stands on this issue. If the opposition to keeping aquariums is not that strong, you might be able to get things changed just by showing up at a board meeting. If the board is more divided, you might consider serving on the board and influencing the regulations yourself. If the opposition is strong and broad, you might go straight to a legal challenge(or threatening one).

I can think of a number of reasons that a condo association would not want pets(noise, smell, allergies, damage to units, biting people, etc). However none of them really apply to aquariums. One advantage to the condo association of allowing aquariums is they make people more established, which is important in a condo community.

Haha good suggestions. Well, the condo building I live in is one of 3 huge buildings. The HOA is notorious for sticking together and being firm on their judgements. They are big business and dont care about little ol me. There's even an underground newsletter that gets passed around by one of the owners that usually bad mouths the place every month. They have outrageous condo fees and not much for customer service. It boils down to im not "the" owner so I cant sit in the commitee and have any pull and I really dont want to make trouble for my fiance's parents.

rich_one

Members
Haha good suggestions. Well, the condo building I live in is one of 3 huge buildings. The HOA is notorious for sticking together and being firm on their judgements. They are big business and dont care about little ol me. There's even an underground newsletter that gets passed around by one of the owners that usually bad mouths the place every month. They have outrageous condo fees and not much for customer service. It boils down to im not "the" owner so I cant sit in the commitee and have any pull and I really dont want to make trouble for my fiance's parents.
That's understandable.

Hopefully you get to move sometime, and get back to owning beautiful tanks, man!

Let's just everyone try to help him get those fish rehomed and that stuff out of there by April 1, so he doesn't run into any eviction drama. I think that's the best way we can all help right now.

-Rich

Rasta Fish

Members
Sorry dude
I can imagine how you feel right about now
nothing like having something you thoroughly enjoy doing just to have it stripped away from you, maybe there is a Lawyer in the forum that can look over your lease agreement or give you some legal advise on how to handle this problem better.
I like Verbal idea.

mscichlid

Founder
Can your girlfriend's parents store the stuff for now until you sell it or keep it for you? Fish just don't fall under the category of pets as would dogs, cats, birds, or reptiles.

Do you remember the person's name who told you it was okay in the first place? Because if a representative of the company gave you the okay, you are in the clear.

F8LBITE

Members
Can your girlfriend's parents store the stuff for now until you sell it or keep it for you? Fish just don't fall under the category of pets as would dogs, cats, birds, or reptiles.

Do you remember the person's name who told you it was okay in the first place? Because if a representative of the company gave you the okay, you are in the clear.

I dont see us moving out any time soon. In fact we may buy the condo from the parents and just keep living there till we can flip it and get a house. I do remember the person's name but she has long been layed off. They go through personnel all the time.

Enkay

Members
If you just need storage space, I might be able to help you house the tank n stuff (emptied) for a few weeks. Just in case you cant move it before 1st April.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I would be willing to store F8L Merc for a few weeks if need be. ;)

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Hey man, I am truly sorry to learn of your situation. I too live in a condo where the association charges too much for too little, but they let the residents have pets. I hope your situation turns around in the near future.
Since you have decided to part with your fish, could you please update the availability list. You have a few things I may be interested if they are still available.

F8LBITE

Members
What does section prohibiting pets in the HOA agreement say?

"Rules: Use of units B6. No pets and other animals of any kind are permitted in Units or on the condominium property. Bylaws, Sect. 5.8 (a) (8)."

pretty short and sweet.