• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Food- I won't be able to do food anymore, volunteers needed to take over

msjinkzd

invert junkie
As a lot of you know, my daughter, Abby, does competitive gymnastics. She was just moved up yet another competitive level and now will be meeting 3 days a week. Unfortunately, the third day is on Saturdays from 12-2. This is obviously not conducive with meetings at all, nor is it conducive for being responsible for the food for the meetings. I am going to talk to her coaches about taking her out earlier one saturday a month for club, but she cannot miss frequent practices and stay on the team. I would aim to get to club by 3, so I don't miss it in its entirety.

The moral of this story is that I will need someone to take over the responsibility of organizing the food for each meeting.

Its also pretty likely there will be a few meetings I have to miss completely because she will be traveling as far as Florida, New jersey, Delaware, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh for her competitions and we don't get a schedule for each one until its pretty close to the time for hte competition. Rather than let down the club, I would prefer for someone else to take over the food responsibility entirely.

Thanks and please let me know, or post here, if you are interested in doing this for the club.

YSS

Members
Wow! Congrats! What level is she? I have a neighbor who's daughter is in the competitive gymnastics scene and they were just at the nationals in San Antonio. Sure is a lot of work raising talented kids. :)

msjinkzd

invert junkie
She is 8 and a level 4. Its 8 hours a week at the gym and a LOT of competitions this year. She has only been taking gymnastics for 2 1/2 years (most of the kids on her team have been in gymnastics since they were 2!!!!!) and I am very proud of her dedication to both her sport and the work ethics involved.

dogofwar

CCA Members
We had a big chip donation from Whole Foods for the Convention. Any of that left?

I was able to get (one time per year) donations of gift cards (Giant) and food (Whole Foods, Trader Joes) for asking...and bringing a letter (asking for donations) with our tax ID number.

Costco said that they will have a donation for us in September. I'll follow-up with them.

I also need to follow-up with H-Mart (in Gaithersburg) and Bloom in Rockville, who said that they would donate stuff for the convention but I couldn't coordinate the logistics with the store managers for each. I'm sure that the offer stands.

Anyway, if you're interested in helping to get donations from your local stores, I'm more than happy to share the letter I used (in MS Word)...

It can't hurt to ask!

Matt

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
Hey Rachel, I'd be willing to take on the responsibility. Could you give me a little more information as to what that responsibility includes?

YSS

Members
She is 8 and a level 4. Its 8 hours a week at the gym and a LOT of competitions this year. She has only been taking gymnastics for 2 1/2 years (most of the kids on her team have been in gymnastics since they were 2!!!!!) and I am very proud of her dedication to both her sport and the work ethics involved.

Congrats! My 8 year old daughter just started gymnastics last year (purely recreational at this point) and she loves it and actually pretty good. What is your girl's other sport? May be we will see your daughter in 2016 olympics. :) May be she won't be old enough ...

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Hey Rachel, I'd be willing to take on the responsibility. Could you give me a little more information as to what that responsibility includes?

Basically you just need to make sure you coordinate enough of everything, or if people don't donate, purchase the food/beverages and submit receipts to Kevin.

Generally we need at least 10 2 liters of soda/juice. A "main dish". A few snacks- preferably not chips if we can as they get really messy but something like fruit, veggie tray, cheese, crackers, etc. A couple bags of ice, a cooler to hold it (or fish box, lol).

Pat usually has the dried goods (paper plates, cups, napkins) but I know he will be missign some meetings so you would need to get with him or Franny to find out who has those things or if they would need to be purchased for the club.

You woulld need to get to the meeting as soon as doors open (I believev that is 1pm at the new location) in order to set up the food and make sure people arrive with their donations in time for things to be set up for the speaker.

Then you would be responsible for cleaning up after the food as well when the meeting is done.

I usually make a thread a week or two before the meeting ot see if anyone is willing to donate. By doing this, we have saved the club a lot of money and its an easy way for members to contribute a little something back.

There was a budget approved as well for the meetings food. I generally use the money to get things like subway sandwiches (2 4' subs is about $75 I think), deli trays, etc. But it would be your choice on that. Meatballs are usually easy and a hit.

Feel free to call me or email me. If you need the numbers, shoot me a pm and I would be happy to give you more information over the phone :)

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
Thanks for the info Rachel! I'll probably PM you with a couple of additional questions and any contact numbers I may need.

marge618

CCA member
She is 8 and a level 4. Its 8 hours a week at the gym and a LOT of competitions this year. She has only been taking gymnastics for 2 1/2 years (most of the kids on her team have been in gymnastics since they were 2!!!!!) and I am very proud of her dedication to both her sport and the work ethics involved.[/!]

Wow. What an accomplishment for one so young. Sounds like Abby loves gymnastics. Any pics to share?