• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Feb Meeting Of The Capital Cichlid Association

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Mike is the Vice President of the CCA as well as a moderator on both the ACA forum and Aquatic Photography forum. Mike is better known as Maddog10

Mike can help all of us take better pictures of our fish so check it out.

More as we get closer.

maddog10

Members
Just a little primer to get you ready for the meeting! Took these about an hour ago.

This is what happens when you stay up to late the night before.

Crenicichla celidochilus
celido-1.jpg

Crenicichla missioneira
mission-1.jpg

Fantastic photos. The spot lighting is hard to get right. And the patience to wait for these captures goes to the limit.

Look forward to Mike's talk.

hubba_hubba.jpg

Julie

Members
Is that the fish's tail I see through the open mouth on the second shot??:eek:

Awesome shots, Mike!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The Feb meeting of the CCA is the 21st at 2pm. As stated before, this is different than usual. It is the 3rd Saturday.

We will be having meetballs this month as the main part of the refreshments.

Also there will be a Whisper 60 power filter in the raffle this month along with the normal goodies.

More information is to come.

See you there.

Julie

Members
Actually I am hoping to be there! Was just trying to talk James into making the drive with me again. Getting my "before I buy my next camera" questions ready, along with the reasons I *NEED* a new one!!

iamzrad

Members
I'm excited for this meeting!
I'll be bringing all my photo gear as well.

We can talk photo, Mike!

Question, will there perhaps be a tank setup or something to actually take pictures for people to see?
What about perhaps a TV to be able to plug my camera in so the image is large for everyone to see? (If not, I can bring a small TV)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Mike will be doing a powerpoint presentation. I know he will have some of his equipment but not all of it.
I don't think there will be time for taking shots and putting them up. His talk runs over an hour and then we have questions, the break, the raffle and auction. If we go too long we start loosing people and the fish in the auction dont get sold or sold too cheap.

We may do the tank thing in the future. A couple of years ago I bought in 3 tanks with lights and some Peacocks. We attempted to work with people and their cameras. It took way too long. But people seemed to love it. And now we are twice the size. But I am thinking about doing that again next year. Basically a work shop rather than a presentation. Less talking and more doing on that one.

This one will be all Mike. AND THIS TIME I GET TO WATCH. RIGHT MIKE. LOL

maddog10

Members
Watch, sleep, whatever urge comes over you Pat!

The hands on presentation from a couple of years ago was by far the best one on photography that I have been to. To do it again, I think it would need to be setup as a stand alone workshop that would be at least 4 hours long. I have been trying to come up with a way to do it. Lecture, then hands on demonstration with your own equipment, then a demo (using the photos that were taken) on post processing. Maybe with a lunch break in there somewhere.

BevN

Members
It sounds like an all day event and quite possibly a fund raiser for the club.

I got this awesome Nikon D40 for valentines day last year and I have no idea how to use it. I would be willing to pay for a clinic that mixes a little photography basics with specific how tos on photographing fish.

In any case I'm really looking forward to the meeting. I need a lot of help with getting good pictures.

longstocking

Members
That is a great idea bev.... as we wouldn't have to charge much at all.... but enough to make it worth while. A great topic for the board meeting :)

Mike
Pat
Francine
Phil
Bobby

That would be enough teachers :)

BevN

Members
Thank you.

I come from the horse world. Clinics are something they do a few times a year. Sometimes it will be a local trainer and other times they bring in one of the big guns.

I kinda thought it if works in the horse world it should work for fish too.

I'm betting once you all put your head together you can come up with some really great clinics that could make some decent money for the club and help grow the club too.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Back on track...

Don't forget the meeting is the 21st.

Looks like a few new members may be there.

Also don't forget that it's time to renew.

There may be a short election this month.

If there were to be a weather problem look on the forum for information.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Don't forget to bring lots of CASH $$$$$$$$$ for the following reasons: a Raffle, an Auction with lots of goodies, Membership renewal or new Membership to the Coolest Cichlid Club in town!

You can even bring fish to sell or fish things and then cash out to use that money at the club. What a great idea!

Can't wait till next week, CCA meeting, my b-day, and the Academy Awards on Sunday. Awesome!
1233.gif