• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Everybody, please welcome BlondeFishGal

WELCOME AT LEAST WE HAVE A TRANSLATOR FOR BILL NOW :)

Translator?? Hmm, I'm a Joisey girl ... I sound exactly like Bill :lol:

"You's guys" aren't saying NJ people have an accent are you?!?

Not True! Not True!

Dats just da way we's speak!

:D

Anyway, thanks dudes and dudettes for the very warm welcome!
Nice to be amongst friends.

lonlangione

Members
Welcome aboard Alesia!!!! Hope to see you at a CCA meeting soon.
You would not believe the accent these people in the MD/VA area have.....

Welcome aboard Alesia!!!! Hope to see you at a CCA meeting soon.
You would not believe the accent these people in the MD/VA area have.....

Hahaha, but actually, I have "southern blood" in me. Dad was from NY but my Mom was from North Carolina. Sure, I sound like I'm from da streets of Joisey, but I grew up on black eyed peas, cornbread, grits, and okra. Heck, sometimes I even catch myself saying "britches" when I mean pants. UGH! You should see the way my NJ friends look at me when I say that!!!

:eek: :confused: :unsure: :eek: :wacko:

Actually, I love that southern accent twang -- it brings back memories for me.

So when I see you folks from CCA, my mouth may be saying .... "you's guys are da best" but my mind will be saying "hey y'all, you folks are the best"

;)

fischfan13

Banned
I have lived in NJ for all of my life, and never have I heard the word "Joisey".
But then Pat picks on the way I say Merriland.:D

I have lived in NJ for all of my life, and never have I heard the word "Joisey".
But then Pat picks on the way I say Merriland.:D

Actually, it is a north / south Jersey thing. Folks like me in northern NJ say it like 'Jersey' but folks from southern NJ say it like 'Joisey' (more with a Philly accent).

I suspect the reason you never heard it said as "joisey" is b/c you not only SPEAK with that thick Bayonne accent, you also HEAR with it, too!! :p

longstocking

Members
:lol: I think you all sound weird :p

I love a southern accent... but moving from NC to MD.... MD has very little southern twang compared to NC. Some areas I've noticed have more of an accent than others though...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I think the DC metro area (not Baltimore) is as close to a "neutral" accent as anywhere I've been to in the country. Granted, maybe I'm just used to whatever accent there is, but I don't think so...

I think we're just.. well, normal. :)

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Well, I always got a bunch a crap from my cousin in NYC whenever I traveled there.

I never noticed I had a slight Maryland accent, but he would always poke fun at me and say," How are the cows in MARY..land doin?" I guess you have to be born and raised in Maryland to really have that slight Elvis twang like," How ya'll doin?"
:lol:

I believe only people from up North can really hear us. Nevertheless, I clearly hear my cousin's Brooklyn accent and I definitely hear Bill Barbitos NJ dialect too. LOL! ;) Even though Minifoot can't understand a thing Bill says, but for some strange reason I can. I guess I'm a sort of
linguists.:wacko:

Richard

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I never noticed I had a slight Maryland accent, but he would always poke fun at me and say," How are the cows in MARY..land doin?" I guess you have to be born and raised in Maryland to really have that slight Elvis twang like," How ya'll doin?" :lol:

I regularly use "y'all". May have picked it up down at Tech, but I use it more cause, well... it just makes sense.

I'm pretty sure that every other language has a "you plural," except for English (vosotros for example en Espanol). Seriously... what are you supposed to say?

You guys? Lame.... what if I'm talking to a bunch of chicks?
You people? Again, lame.... someone'll think I'm a racist.
Yins?.... well, maybe if I had a man-crush on Sidney Crosby. :p

Sounds like another burning question that may need to be further researched at the Stained-Glass Pub/Bar/Restaurant. ;)

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I think the Maryland folks sound like "Northerners", definitely never thought of it as a southern accent (gee, I wonder why :lol:)

I spent my summers as a kid in Del Haven NJ (near Cape May), loved the boardwalk in Wildwood, got my first job in Rio Grande NJ at a Taco Bell (ironic, I know). I've known the Jersey accent for a long time so I understand it well. Actually always thought it was a pretty cool accent, definitely different from anywhere else.

My accent is from Arkansas, not WV. Folks in WV ask me all the time where I'm from, I have 2 responses that I like to give them... 1) Boston 2) New York. You should see the look I get from em ;)

I think the Maryland folks sound like "Northerners", definitely never thought of it as a southern accent (gee, I wonder why :lol:)

I spent my summers as a kid in Del Haven NJ (near Cape May), loved the boardwalk in Wildwood, got my first job in Rio Grande NJ at a Taco Bell (ironic, I know). I've known the Jersey accent for a long time so I understand it well. Actually always thought it was a pretty cool accent, definitely different from anywhere else.

My accent is from Arkansas, not WV. Folks in WV ask me all the time where I'm from, I have 2 responses that I like to give them... 1) Boston 2) New York. You should see the look I get from em ;)

Oh, man, you made my day. :happy0065:
I do not think I have heard anyone ever say that before!!!

May have to buy you a round! :happy0180: