• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Evenings are getting cooler

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I've got Odessa barbs in mine. They should be able to handle a few days in 60s water.

But still...

Blaise

chriscoli

Administrator
So I guess the important question is, how was the fish haul?

I was using the tub for grow-out rather than spawning, so I got out what I put in. I'm not convinced that using outdoor tubs grows them faster than indoors. I got a late start on the tubs this year anyhow.

Becca

Members
So, putting congo tetras in the pond was much easier than getting them out. I don't think they spawned for me, but I do still have 2 adults I need to catch. I have millions of white clouds, a dozen or so more Norman's Lampeyes, and somehow I ended up with shrimp in the ponds and I don't remember putting them out there.

FishEggs

I know I have at least 2 frogs in my tub. I put Endlers, rummy nose, kubotai and ember tetras in there. The tub has so many surface plants that I don't know if I have any fish or fry left in there anymore.

Do you quarantine your fish when you bring them in from outside?

I think I'll be pulling any fish sometime this week. I've had Endlers out in temps down to mid 50s overnight and they did just fine. But I want to get the tetras back in the house. If I have any in there.

Carolineep

CCA Members
I Qt when I bring my fish back inside.

I haven't gotten any frogs in my tubs yet. Looking forward to having some critter companions.

FishEggs

I pulled my fish and fry today. Found 3 frogs and a bunch of dragonfly nymphs. My kubotai didn't survive but the Embers and rummy nose and endlers did. Not sure if anything but the endlers multiplied.
The dragonfly nymphs were a nice snack for the African cichlids.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I put five in, found one dead about two weeks ago.

Certainly will be some in auctions to come, but I need to leave early next week (baseball tickets), so probably not until October.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have a bunch of mchambers mchambers diamond tetras from last summer in my 150... Great fish. Might need to add to the school from this year's batch :)

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
Even though it was so cold in late August, it warmed up quite a bit in September, and my pond is still about 65F. I caught one lone Diamond tetra earlier this week, and today I caught four juvie Cryptoheros myrnae.

I think there are more of the C. myrnae, including three adults, but they're very hard to catch. When threatened, they usually duck into crevices in the liner, making it impossible to catch them. Two of the other Matts ( dogofwar dogofwar and FishEggs FishEggs ) suggested using minnow traps. I made a couple of homemade ones with bottles today, but the only fish I've found in them are the rainbow daces, which I want to leave in the pond.

Becca

Members
Watch out with the bottle minnow traps - see if you can ventilate them in some way. If you forget about them for too long, fish will die in them.

I went to check my pond yesterday and there are still hordes of white clouds and still lots of new fry out there, along with 2 frogs.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Good point on the traps. I made a point of checking the two I used every hour. Once I caught the dace, I gave up.