• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Evenings are getting cooler

chriscoli

Administrator
For those of you with fish outside in temporary tubs, when do you bring them in? I have some mbuna grow outs in a big planted tub and was starting to think about bringing them in.

zendog

I would think it is time for them to come in. With nights in 60s and temps averaging out around 70 over the 24hrs, the water will be getting a bit cool for them. I'd also keep an eye out for possible big rains, which could give a sudden bump down in temps and I don't think rift lake fish will handle that too well if they're already on the cooler side.

The fish I have out can handle wider temp swings, so I'll probably give them at least a week more, maybe a month depending on forcasts. I think I actually had some endlers and goodeids out until the first week of October last year.

Becca

Members
I plan to let the white clouds over winter, butt out might be thine too give up on the Congo tetras.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Becca's response is vaguely Shakespearean, isn't it? Just lacking a "forsooth". Spelling is appropriately Shakespeareran as well (maybe more Chaucer-ish).

I plan on leaving my Odessa barbs out for a bit. The size of the tub/pond certainly is a factor in how long it will take for the water temp to drop. And my tub gets a good amount of direct sun, which helps keep temps up. I'm thinking we may have the better part of a month before things cool down enough to become detrimental to tropicals. I seem to remember Rachel saying somewhere that most fish can stand a few days at below ideal temps.

Blaise

Robinhud

CCA Members
just a thought but why not buy a few 50 watt heaters which are very cheap on ebay and let them run. That will solve the sharp changes in temp problems.

b considine

In my case, it's a 140 gallon stock tank and my outdoor outlet is being occupied by my pump and a bug zapper for the deck. I've only lost fish to the cold when I waited too long to tear it down for the year, and they were ancistrus fry.

Blaise

Robinhud

CCA Members
lol a 50 watt heater will run for 20 hours on 15 cents so $5.00 will cover a month . So that covers a bank buster unless you are running 20 tubs.

Becca

Members
lol a 50 watt heater will run for 20 hours on 15 cents so $5.00 will cover a month . So that covers a bank buster unless you are running 20 tubs.
Christine is probably running 30 tubs.

Some of the rest of us are working with a few hundred gallons of pond.

chriscoli

Administrator
well, my "tub" is a 150 gal stock tank. I don't think a 50 watt heater even running continuously would do much.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Guess I'd pull out the infrared thermometer tomorrow morning and get a reading. Last fall, it stayed quite warm, well into October. We didn't have much of a cool snap, but this week has been surprisingly cool.

JLW

CCA Members
Last year, I left fish outside ... too long. We went from having BAJILLIONS of fish to, "Hey, look, there's a whole bunch of Rosy Barbs and Limia in here."

While you want to leave them out as long as possible, I think erring on the side of caution is best. I monitor water temperature in the morning. If its under 70 for two or three consecutive days, its time to move them. The only exception I'll make is if its under 70, but the next week's lows are way above (as happened this year).

chriscoli

Administrator
Josh, that's exactly what was thinking, too. I checked on Saturday, and the tub was at 73 degrees, Sunday it was at 70. So I took it apart, pulled the fish, then put all of the plants back in and refilled it so that the plants can continue on toward dormancy. Then the plants get put into the garage once it's really cold.

b considine

If it doesn't warm up some this week, I'm pulling my fish over Labor Day. Screw that "I think I might have another month" stuff.

Blaise

JasonC

Members
So I guess the important question is, how was the fish haul?

Josh, that's exactly what was thinking, too. I checked on Saturday, and the tub was at 73 degrees, Sunday it was at 70. So I took it apart, pulled the fish, then put all of the plants back in and refilled it so that the plants can continue on toward dormancy. Then the plants get put into the garage once it's really cold.

mchambers

Former CCA member
It is supposed to warm up later in the week, and again over the weekend. But if I had an outdoor tub, I'd be a little worried until then.

Carolineep

CCA Members
Fry for days in one tub. second tub i started late and no babies yet.
I moved everybody inside yesterday as the cichlids were a bit chilly but they are bouncing back in fishroom.