• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Discus Tank - progress and updates

Nice! Yeah.... I didn't know about the Stendekr discus until last night after i posted on here. Ended up doing some research and realized they are raised in tap water. Pretty awesome.... Im even more inclined now to get them!!

Forester

Members
Awesome! I can't wait till I get some. I'm putting the tank together soon so 1-2 months and I'll have discus too!

dhavalsp

Members
thanks everyone!

Awesome! I can't wait till I get some. I'm putting the tank together soon so 1-2 months and I'll have discus too!

Make sure you start with a good stock - go to Hans! it was worth it, fish were healthy and started eating form day one...

Forester

Members
thanks everyone!

Make sure you start with a good stock - go to Hans! it was worth it, fish were healthy and started eating form day one...

Yeah, I'm torn between Hans and Tony Tans discus at DiscusUSA. The only reason I'm not definitely going to Hans is I really love the colors on Tony Tans discus. I have time to figure it out.

Thanks for the advice.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Beautiful.
They are like peacocks. The bigger they get the more colorful they will be.

Bottom line. Hans and only Hans!

dhavalsp

Members
Thanks Pat!

Lucas, agreed you might get some nicer colors from the fish being sourced from Asia. there is also Kenny's discus but they are a bit pricey as he sells at larger size so you know exactly what you are getting.

If you end up going to Hans, he always has some 3.5-4 inch discus in tanks, these are either ones which grow faster(or slower) then the batch or are remnants from previous batch which he might be separating out. They are always reasonably priced for the size...

In any case, let me know when you plan to order, I want to get a solid red to add to my group...

Forester

Members
After doing some more research on SD and seeing the situation that is going on with Discus USA and litigation, I am going to pass on them. I did see Kennys, but I would like to be able to pick up the fish.

We're you able to actually go in and pick up the fish? I know the general types that I want but would prefer to see them in person before I decide. This is going to be my b-day present to myself so I've given myself a generous price limit (comes from selling lots of super reds :)). I am planning on going mid-June after school gets out, I will let you know when so I could grab one for you.

Thanks for the help

dhavalsp

Members
yes, I was able to pick individual fish from there...even from the 2.5 inch group, which is tedious..Hans was kind and patient and suggested one over the other...

if budget is not an issue, I would highly recommend planning for $ 60 a piece fish...you will not see that size/price on his website but he has them in the store...I think he allows visits during fri-sun...and you get ample of time in the shop to explore and be awed!

Forester

Members
yes, I was able to pick individual fish from there...even from the 2.5 inch group, which is tedious..Hans was kind and patient and suggested one over the other...

if budget is not an issue, I would highly recommend planning for $ 60 a piece fish...you will not see that size/price on his website but he has them in the store...I think he allows visits during fri-sun...and you get ample of time in the shop to explore and be awed!
Awesome! That's what I was hoping for. Thanks for all the advice, I can't wait till I get them! Just gotta get throught exams.

Aqua410

Members
Very awesome fish. If it weren't for my travel schedule I would be keeping them myself. I don't want to burden my girlfriend with the water changes when I go out of town. I do weekly 50% change on my tanks but I feel like discus might need more.

dhavalsp

Members
FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0961.JPG IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0976.JPG IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0982.JPG quick update on these fish - it been over a year since I got them. I have added 2 pearl scale angels to the group and 2 BN plecos recently.