• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dan's 300 gallon starfire stingray tank

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
those monsters look good in there. hows the new guy doing?
Thanks!
It was a rough start but he ate his first shrimp today. He isnt bothering the rays which I am very happy about.

They look great. Those are my dream tanks. How do you do water change and how long it takes?
Thanks! I siphon the water into a 30 gallon bucket and then pour it out on the porch. The water runs through the slats down into the ground. Once I have emptied it to were I want, I wheel the bucket to the sink and fill her up. Then I pump the water back to the tank with a 800 gph pump.
It takes about 3 hours for a 50% change. I normally only have time for a 30% water change a week, but I have an awesome filtration system and with only 3 fish, it works for now.
Someone is selling 18 inch alligator gar on craigslist($79)...just saying....everyone needs company!
Thanks! I'm saving my money for a third ray so, unfortunately, i have to pass. I know someone who is saving for a multi hundred dollar fish shouldnt go and buy a big gar, but Its hard to find big tropical gars for sale. Plus, the price was amazing.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Ray #3!
Ever since I got into rays I have always wanted a leopoldi but they have always been way out of my price range. My dad (thanks dad if you're reading this!) and I picked her up in NJ on our way back from dropping off my grandma at my aunts house. Round trip was 12 hours, but it was so worth it! She is a 3 year old female potamotrygon leopoldi. Hopefully her and my marble motoro will produce some nice little hybrids soon!
Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 10.04.35 AM.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 10.04.35 AM.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Nice trip! Looks like a shadow for one of the other rays.
Thanks!
Awesome ray! Leopoldi rays are my favorite
Mine aswell, I like them even better than the fancy black diamonds
Thanks
Nice sting ray! Always a fan of black rays myself.

Drew
Thanks, black rays have always been my favorite. I'm still in shock I finally got one!
Ever considered adding Ceramic tiles to the aquarium floor?

Something like these? http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...and-Wall-Tile-17-44-sq-ft-case-ULMK/204834499

They'd really make that black Leo pop.

I actually had ceramic tiles in my 120 and i must've gotted the wrong kind because it killed my arowana, 5 year old chocolate cichlid, and allot of fish I really loved. This was back before I thought about the fish's life after it outgrows my largest tank at the time. I just wouldnt want to run the slightest risk with my 3 favorite (and by far most expensive) fish.
Hopefully i can get a nice white sand bottom to contrast with the leo. My marble's pattern has gotten worse since I moved him to a barebottom tank so I think it'll benefit both rays. The hybrid has looked the same on barebottom and sand but I'm sure It'll contrast with her as well.

Vincebus

Members
Beautiful tank and inhab's! Thanks for sharing and I'm blown away that your parents allowed you to have such large tanks but, glad you've shown them that you can handle the responsibilities.

Keep up the good work!:happy0158:

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Beautiful tank and inhab's! Thanks for sharing and I'm blown away that your parents allowed you to have such large tanks but, glad you've shown them that you can handle the responsibilities.

Keep up the good work!:happy0158:
Thanks!
IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

FishEggs

we haven't had an update on this thread in a long time. How are the rays doing? get any new little hybrids from them?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
we haven't had an update on this thread in a long time. How are the rays doing? get any new little

hybrids from them?
No babies, yet! Roxy, the female, is still a bit young and Ray isnt the most persistent male. Marble motoros are some of the fastest rays to mature, it only takes them 2-3 years. I've had ray for going on 3 years and we suspect that he is about 3 at the moment so he's defenitely ready. We've had Roxy for almost 2 years (in the next month) and she was only a few months old when we got her. She also doesnt have that adult ray body type. Its hard to explain but most big rays of the "chunkier varieties" (leopoldi, bd, motoros, pearls, marbles, bosemani, etc.) get very stocky and thick when they are adults. As pups they all have a skinnier leaner look over all. My old leo, Rachel had that body type and Ray defenitely had it. Roxy, however, isnt quite there yet. Withinn the next year I suspect she'll be able to bear pups. Her growth isnt slowing down and shes starting to become wider than ray. Her appetite has only gotten bigger and shes eating more and more daily. She still acts like a pup and is by far the more social ray between the pair. At this patern she should have a little growth spurt soon and then she should be ready. Ray has only atempted to breed with her a handfull of times, that I've seen so the odds of her having pups now is very unlikely. Looking back at this thread, its crazy how long its been since the last update. Early 2016 I added sand and rocks to the tank to make it look more like the amazon. The pothos roots have gotten long and unruly. The little fish (3-12") that have lived with them in the past year and my big silver aro have enjoyed hiding in the roots. About two months ago i cut them back to give the growing arowana more swimming room and they all look much happier and the tank looks huge again. The current stock is the two rays (male marble motoro and female hybrid, both at least a foot long not including tail), a 2' or so silver aro, 3 hoplarchus psittacum (6-10"), 3 huge wild caught angels (10" tall), 2 festivums (maybe 5"), 2 pearsi cichlids (around 4"), 1 leporinus steyermarki (6" and very active), 1 barramundi (6", quickly becoming my favorite non stingray), an ornate pim (4-5"), and a wild caugh oscar who is currently chilling in the quarantine tank because of some fungal issues (5"). Its almost impossible to tell sizes through the glass and its really not worth the trouble of chasing my prised fish around a 300 gallon tank and measuring them out of the water just to make sure I'm not exaggerating one way or another. The tank is surrounded my windows so any pics I take now would just be my reflection.

AquaStudent

Members
Thanks for the update Dan! Sounds like things are going swimmingly. Get those windows covered up tonight and take a photo!

Cakes

Members
Great looking tank, well done.

How do you like the Starfire? I am about to purchase a new tank and I can't decide.

Thanks,

BC

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Great looking tank, well done.

How do you like the Starfire? I am about to purchase a new tank and I can't decide.

Thanks,

BC
Thanks!
Honestly, I cant tell a difference between this glass and my other glass when full. When the tank was empty I could tell but if its a huge price difference, just get regular glass. They only had starfire 300s so I went with that one. No complaints, but not mindblowing