• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dan's 300 gallon starfire stingray tank

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
This tank is killer. Wow. SO envious! How the heck did you convince your parents?

How come no sand? Is it easier for the rays to find their food without it? Are you planning on adding anything else (decor, plants, livestock)?
Thanks man!
I've been keeping fish for a while and havnt had any major issues that I needed to envolve them so they know that I have the responsibility and ability to take care of these fish that I love. They say that if I pay for it, it doesnt ruin/flood their house, and I take care of it, they are normally fine with my projects. I thank them everyday for letting me chase my fish dreams, even if that means buying a tank the size of my dad's car.

The main reason I dont have sand is for ease of cleaning and so there is zero chance a canister gets clogged up. Also, if I get some sand and fill up the tank and I later regret it, getting 300+ pounds of a tank with 2 fish that could send me to the emergency room with the flick of their tails would be a nightmair.

Right now I'm saving up to get a third ray or some more peacock bass or other middle dwellers. I've been growing out a silver aro ever since I was 100% sure I was picking up this tank. I've had him since he had his yolk sac and he's a bit over 6". He'll be going with the rays. I probably wont add much more decorations so the rays have allot of room to swim and grow as they get older and bigger.
That's going to be a sweet tank
The tank is even more impressive filled with monster fish. The rays love it almost as much as I do.

A few pics from today
IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg
Thanks

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

AquaStudent

Members
Looking good Dan! The rays are beautiful. When do you think you'll be moving the Arow in? How long ago was (s)he born? I'm amazed at how quickly some of these fish grow.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Rays are getting big, sorry about the glare, I'll try to take some better pics tonight.
IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

A few older pics of the pair I really like
ray 7:03:15 1.jpg

roxygood2.jpg

The current stock now is the rays, a 12" cichla pinima, 10" tarpon, and 9" ntt datnoid

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

ray 7:03:15 1.jpg

roxygood2.jpg

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
The rays really are getting some size to them!

Yah man, they're getting huge!
Ray (the marble motoro) is almost 12" wide. Roxy the p14 hyrbid isnt too far behind.
The only issue is, ray is constantly trying to breed with roxy. Roxy unfortunately isnt ready. She's been very stressed out and hasnt been eating aswell.
The only good news is this gives me an excuse to buy another ray. Around labor day weekend we'll be picking up a huge female marble motoro to grab ray's attention.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Realized I dont have any good pics of my big cichla pinima
This beast had a major growth spurt when I moved him to the 300. He's about 12" long now and mean as heck. He almost killed a similar sized tarpon. He's fine with the rays but doesnt like any fish that swim around the center of the tank. He stands my datnoid but couldnt stand the tarpon. I still cant believe I almost sold this guy. Pics dont do him justice.
DSC00007.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Its been a while since last update so, why not start with a new fish that should be arriving soon!
Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 8.07.22 AM.jpg
This fish is not a ray, and not a cichlid. This fish is coming from Jeff Rapps.
All of you who religiously check Jeff's site, like me, will maybe notice that the biggest fish he was recently selling mysteriously was taken off the stocklist ;)
Props to anyone who can guess what it is

As for the current stock, they are all doing great.
I'll post pics when their new friend arrives.

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 8.07.22 AM.jpg

spazmattik

Members
I was going to guess the albino clown knife but looks like he still has it. Hope its something you plan on keeping a while. The bigger they are, the harder they are to get rid of :p

I have some stuff coming today as well. Including a pair of rare acaras :)

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I was going to guess the albino clown knife but looks like he still has it. Hope its something you plan on keeping a while. The bigger they are, the harder they are to get rid of :p

I have some stuff coming today as well. Including a pair of rare acaras :)

Nice!
I was actually planning on picking up the knife, but someone said they were coming to pick it up right before I emailed him

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Where is a picture of the new fish?

Shipment arrived late and the fish ended up busting through both bags and was sitting in 2" of water in the styrophoam box with news paper floating around everywere.
This led to a few injurys and some bad ammonia burns. I'll post a better pic when he starts to settle in.
Also, the fish the I bought was a 16-18" tropical gar

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics, while I love that my 300 is in the living room, its terrible for photo taking because of all the light coming in

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg