• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AquaMania - Please Volunteer

Where Would You Like to Volunteer at AquaMania?

• Children's Activities and Aquarium "Genius" Table (Team Lead: Need a Volunteer)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hospitality (Team Lead: Samantha)

• I'm Attending AquaMania But Not Planning to Help

• Total voters

dogofwar

CCA Members
AquaMania (Mar 9-10 at the Gaithersburg, MD Hilton) is coming up soon and your club needs your help!

Please sign up for a role. Obviously, the more volunteers, the less work that falls on any one person.

If you plan to attend the February CCA meeting, we're going to set aside some time for the team leads for each of the areas to meet with volunteers, describe what kind of help is needed, get contact information, work out schedules and other details.

A brief overview of the areas in which we need volunteers:

- Registration (Team Lead: Christine / chriscoli): Assembling and handing out goody bags, setting up and staffing registration table, maintaining registration list, collecting registration $, answering questions, etc. Registration starts on Friday PM and goes through Sun.

- Aquarium Beautiful Competition (Team Lead: George Cowan, Frank Cowherd, Arlene Wagner): Starting on Friday night, preparing the Hilton Lobby for Aquarium Beautiful Competition participants to bring their tanks, set them up in the correct locations, add / remove water, plug things in safely, etc. Also, ensure participants tear down entries safely on Sunday. Collect and count entries to the competition. Determine winners and give out awards at Saturday Award Ceremony.

- Children's Activities and Aquarium "Genius" Table (Team Lead: Samantha and Marc S/Wblaze): Starting on Saturday, plan and provide activities and information resources for the general public, including a (brief) how-to-set-up and maintain a fish tank class and other activities for kids and beginning hobbyists. Staff the Aquarium Genius (Answer) table to be able to respond to questions. Provide information about CCA.

- Give a Kid a Tank Contest (Team Lead: Samantha and Marc S/Wblaze): Receive shipment of donated tanks and supplies from vendors (at the Hotel), coordinate and store decorations, plants and fish for kids to set-up tanks, Set-up tables, display and (empty) tanks for the contest, greet kids in the contest, oversee tank set-up, tear-down and removal by kids and their families.

- Hospitality (Team Lead: Samantha / golsama): Assist with setting up Hospitality Suite on Saturday night and providing snacks and refreshments during the event. Assist with Aquarium Beautiful Awards Ceremony on Saturday afternoon and with other tasks as needed.

- Rare Fish Silent Auction (Team Lead: Mike O'Shea / discusnafricans): Organize and run the rare fish silent auction including picking up donated fish from the airport and/or participants, planning for temporary storage of fish, setting up mygroupauctions, running the auction process, bagging fish, etc. The auction is on Saturday

- Sunday Marketplace (Team Lead: Jon Clark, Frank Cowherd): Assist vendors, including those who are exhibiting on both Sat and Sun, find their tables, ensure layout of Marketplace room is set up by hotel per plan, hang banners and information correctly, ensure tear-down is complete, respond to issues before and during Marketplace.

- CCA Table at Sunday Marketplace (Team Lead: Mike O'Shea): Set-up, organize and organize table in Sunday Marketplace at which CCA members who don't have their own tables can sell, including mygroupauctions process, collecting and tracking money, etc.

- Security and Crowd Control (Team Lead: Prince): Work with hotel staff to ensure security of Aquarium Beautiful Displays, work with Registration to ensure appropriate entry to speakers, marketplace, etc. Organize buyers and other participants in marketplace, ensure that lobby and other areas are free from trip hazards and other risks.

- Speaker and AV (Team Lead: Tony and Jason C): Assist with set-up and tear down of AV equipment, travel and transportation of speakers and other speaker and speaker presentation logistics.

- Ad Hoc Assistance (Team Lead: Jon Clark): Perform needed tasks like decoration, tear down, filling in for no-shows and other tasks as needed.

Thanks everyone and please don't be scared to volunteer if you won't be able to attend every minute of the event. You'll work out staffing and times with your team leads...

Matt

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Samantha has volunteered to serve as Lead for the Give a Kid a Tank Competition.

Thanks Sam!

Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
For Ad, we need volunteers for pickup and dropoff at BWI.

He arrives at 6:35 PM on Friday and departs at 1:45 on Sunday.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Man, 32 views already and only 2 votes?

CCA, we need your help to make Aquamania a success. Please volunteer to help out, if only for a few hours.

Jon

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
For Ad, we need volunteers for pickup and dropoff at BWI.

He arrives at 6:35 PM on Friday and departs at 1:45 on Sunday.
After pickup, would he be taken to a hotel? I could probably drop off sunday, as I could head home via that direction. That would only work though if my services won't be needed at the marketplace during that time.

Should people who are assigned duties vote? I'm not sure I'd have time to help elsewhere while heading the Silent Auction, but I'd be glad to help anywhere in the Marketplace if the time is available.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Mike,

I've got you running the CCA table in the Marketplace.

Matt

After pickup, would he be taken to a hotel? I could probably drop off sunday, as I could head home via that direction. That would only work though if my services won't be needed at the marketplace during that time.

Should people who are assigned duties vote? I'm not sure I'd have time to help elsewhere while heading the Silent Auction, but I'd be glad to help anywhere in the Marketplace if the time is available.

I will be at the hotel definitely Saturday and Sunday. I am currently working with hubby to have him be at the hotel with the boys on Friday night so that the family can hang out with me Friday night and part of Saturday.

If there are other areas that need help, I'll try to be accessible to help out when I'm not doing working the Aquarium Beautiful stuff.

Arlene

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks much, Arlene!

Who wants to join Arlene and Co.'s Team?

Matt

I will be at the hotel definitely Saturday and Sunday. I am currently working with hubby to have him be at the hotel with the boys on Friday night so that the family can hang out with me Friday night and part of Saturday.

If there are other areas that need help, I'll try to be accessible to help out when I'm not doing working the Aquarium Beautiful stuff.

Arlene

dogofwar

CCA Members
We've had over 175 views and only a handful of volunteers. Which, of course, won't cut it.

To address some of the questions / concerns:

- If I volunteer for something will I have to miss <all the speakers, buying in the Marketplace, the auction, drinking beer>? The answer is: Of course not. The more volunteers we have, the shorter the shifts. And a lot of the volunteer opportunities are on Friday during set-up or during times that you might not be interested in what's going on. The Team Leads will work out schedules with their volunteers.

- Do I have to register to volunteer? Yes - you must be a registered attendee to volunteer during the event (except, I guess if you want to help set up on Friday night). We're not giving out free registration in exchange for helping for an hour or two...

- I'm not sure what to do? Well, choose something that sounds fun and works with your schedule. Want to get a heads up on what all of the vendors are selling? Do the Marketplace... Can't come on Saturday and Sunday? Well help with set-up on Friday evening. Want to meet lots of new people? Help with registration or the Aquarium Genius Table... Know how to bag fish? Help with the auction. There's something for everyone.

- Don't you already have the bases covered? Yes - we'll have to...but the more volunteers, the less time for each. This WILL be a fun, successful event. The turnout of volunteers (and members who register), though, impacts whether the club will be hold events in the future. It's our opportunity to put our best collective foot forward. Please help!

If you have questions, concerns, ideas...message me :)

Thanks,
Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I can help with the CCA Marketplace table on Sunday. I will also help Chris with registration.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Last edited:

Wblaze

Members
seems like we should use a portion of the next meeting to insure that we have the right number of volunteers. This is a prime opportunity to show the national cichlid community what we are made of