• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AQUAFEST2009 WEBSITE

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
So let's get registered.
lol

There are a few items that need to go on yet but the basic registration is set as is the show registration.

Check it out and register early please.

Lively

Members
90% certian that not only will I be attending, but I should be able to lend a hand as well!

Any tips from you old hands at showing fish? I'm thinking I may want to show one of my Electric Blues - might as well cut my teeth at home :)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member

Any tips from you old hands at showing fish?

There are a bunch of things that I do. I know they are in this forum somewhere but lets go over a few items.

1st : Pick the fish that you think best represents the species
2nd : At about 1 month take that fish and put it in a tank by its self.
3rd : When you bring the fish to the show bring a few items with you.
A: I try to take some fresh water from home with me. Not much. When I get to the show I removed some from the show tank and add my water. Just enough to lessen the shock?
B: I always take the drops that I use for declor with me. I know the show tank is declorinated but I want to do it anyway. Just to be safe.
C: Don't forget bags, net, bucket, paper towels, etc. Anything you think you may need to get that fish in the tank and back out and home. Nothig worse than forgetting to bring bags and having to borrow a 6 inch bag for a 7 inch fish. lol

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Oh, and I will keep bumping this thread until I see 150 registrations for the convention. :lol:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
It also says to make sure you ask for "in house registration" so they don't transfer you to the company. Also ask for the Aquafest rooms.
I believe the rooms by the pool are higher.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Yes.

The more registrations I get early the easier it should be to get the stuff right. Plus as bills come due for things, we have the money to pay the bills as they come due. etc.

You do not need to register for the auction. You do not pay to get into that. Just the speakers and such.

I know most people will not register the show fish until it gets closer. But the sooner those are registered the sooner we know a bunch of things.

An example I have used many times is Aquafest2007.
Maddog and I had to pick up the stands and tanks from VA 2 weeks before the event. The morning that we picked up the stuff we only had like 10 or 15 fish registered for the show. How many tanks do we pick up? I made a call and am glad we did because we ended up with around 100 fish.
Things run so much smoother if you can prepare in advance. Thats all.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
That makes sense, I just wanted to make sure I knew how things worked. Last year I only went to the auction of the Catfish Convention, but this year, I want to make sure and attend the lectures and presentations as well. I'm considering showing a fish as well, but still on the fence.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Cool.

Showing fish can be fun. I have shown fish at the catfish conventions, the Fall fish Festival, Aquafest2007, OCA, and this year I put some in the ACA convention for the first time.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I do it for a number of reasons.

Yes the fins are the main thing.

I also try to train the fish to stay in the front of the tank.
If I approach the tank and the fish goes to the back then it does not get fed. If he comes to the front he gets his food. This (with a couple other things) is a good way to get your fish to be active and show well. If the judge has to hunt for the fish in the tank then it will not place well. If the fish dances in the front of the tank it will score well on deportment.

Can't tell you all my tricks that I have learned. lol
Well maybe a few more. lol

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Cool, I guess I need to start a list some where.

I will ask for people to help some in different areas but mostly I want people to have a good time.
These things can be a bunch of work but really the reason we do it is for the fun of it.

I will come up with a job list as we get closer.
Thanks.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Don't forget to register early if you can.
Will make things much easier on everyone.
And yes this was a bump. LOL

Spine

Members
Pat, I plan on being there every day. Let me know as soon as possible what you need need me to do. I'll be serving double duty since I'm a member of GWAPA also.:):)