• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

April meeting / what are you bringing

chris_todd

Members
Does anyone have some spare Poret foam laying around, say after trimming it to fit in your tanks? I'd like to try the matten filter in some 2.5g and 10g tanks, so I don't need very big pieces. If you have some extra lying around, lemme know.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm still thinking that there is a non-fish (i.e. a few dollars for a big piece) equivalent of poret foam. Anyone have any ideas?

Matt

Does anyone have some spare Poret foam laying around, say after trimming it to fit in your tanks? I'd like to try the matten filter in some 2.5g and 10g tanks, so I don't need very big pieces. If you have some extra lying around, lemme know.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I've got a friend who is the king of cheap alternatives and he tried to find something similar but had no luck. The closest he found was 1" thick and it would have had to be supported with eggcrate to stand up in the tank. He ended up breaking down and buying one precut piece for his sump which surprised the heck out of me. I think a precut piece for a 10g is about $13 which isn't bad. I haven't regretted buying my full sheet once, actually considering buying another ;)

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

I'm considering bringing 6 F1 juvie paracyp nigripinnis to donate for the auction if there is any interest ;)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Interest in a probable pair of Australoheros oblongum?

They look like a pair, act like a pair...just no eggs yet because they're in with a bunch of other fish. Male's pushing 5" and female's about 2.5"...

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Also, I've got a few of these guys @ 1" or so... really rare blue, black and yellow mbuna

Metriaclima cyneusmarginatus "Chia Lagoon" - F1

http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?s=77

I sold my wild breeders so unless someone else around here breeds them...or Atlantis gets them in again, then this will be the last time you see them...

Matt

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Interest in a probable pair of Australoheros oblongum?

They look like a pair, act like a pair...just no eggs yet because they're in with a bunch of other fish. Male's pushing 5" and female's about 2.5"...

Matt

I call dibs!

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

In need of a Emperor 400 or Penguin 330/350, tops or hood for a 40 breeder, and a 200w Jager heater ;)

If you've got any of the above, send me a pm with the price ;)

Thanks!!!

chris_todd

Members
You'd definitely want "open cell" foam. You can look here at options:

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/opencellfoam.html

Personally, I bought a sheet of poret and was happy I did.

It looks like their "speaker foam" is the closest to Poret - black, 30 ppi, 2", reticulated. Apparently it is an "ester type polyurethane foam", compared to Poret's polyether, which is supposed to be stronger.

Their price for a 4' x 8' x 2" sheet is $142 (shipping is free), compared to $119 for the 39"x39"x2" Poret. That works out to $4.44 / square foot vs. $10.31 / square foot for Poret.

I wish I knew enough chemistry to be confident that the polyurethane foam would be aquarium safe, because that's a significant price difference.

Having said that, I recently ordered a 13"x13" sheet of Poret and setup a Hamburg Matten filter for a 10g. Super easy to do. It's only been running 2 days, so I can't say much yet, but given other people's positive experiences, I'm fairly confident it will work well.

lonlangione

Members
I wish I knew enough chemistry to be confident that the polyurethane foam would be aquarium safe, because that's a significant price difference.

That is the problem. I remember someone telling me that Poret foam will not breakdown when used in water. It was specifically developed for use as a water filtering foam. Also the reason that it is imported is it is manufactured with a chemical that is illegal to use in the manufacturing process in the US. The chemical is only harmful in it's natural state. Once the foam is "cured" it is not harmful. I guess it is like the glue they use overseas to hold sneakers together. It is illegal to use in the US. It is not always cheap labor that drives manufacturing to other countries.

LONNY