• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

2011 October meeting pics

mscichlid

Founder
I had to leave early because of a birthday dinner theater engagement.

Thank you Chris for an informative talk. My interest in blackwater apistos has been renewed.

Thank you food crew! Thanks to everyone who assisted in setup and cleanup.

Welcome to our new members!

Thank you everyone who took the time to vote.

Did someone find a pair of black sunglasses? :unsure:

mscichlid

Founder
_DSC7605-1.jpg

_DSC7539-1.jpg

_DSC7541-1.jpg

_DSC7543-1.jpg

_DSC7544-1.jpg

_DSC7546-1.jpg

_DSC7550-1.jpg

_DSC7552-1.jpg

_DSC7553-1.jpg

_DSC7554-1.jpg

_DSC7556-1.jpg

_DSC7557-1.jpg

_DSC7558-1.jpg

_DSC7559-1.jpg

_DSC7561-1.jpg

_DSC7562-1.jpg

_DSC7563-1.jpg

_DSC7564-1.jpg

_DSC7565-1.jpg

_DSC7568.jpg

_DSC7570-1.jpg

_DSC7571-1.jpg

_DSC7572-1.jpg

_DSC7573-1.jpg

_DSC7574-1.jpg

_DSC7576-1.jpg

_DSC7579-1.jpg

_DSC7582-1.jpg

_DSC7583-1.jpg

_DSC7586-1.jpg

_DSC7588-1.jpg

_DSC7590-1.jpg

_DSC7591-1.jpg

_DSC7595-1.jpg

_DSC7600-1.jpg

_DSC7601-1.jpg

_DSC7603-1.jpg

_DSC7604-1.jpg

mchambers

Former CCA member
It was a great meeting. Chris's presentation was very interesting and he also brought some very cool fish for the auction. (Now to head to Home Depot for bale of peat moss!)

Matt Quinn did a fine job as auctioneer, too.

The sound system seemed much improved over September.

Finally, the kids drawing area seemed to be a big hit.

Last edited:

Leffler817

CCA Members
Great Meeting!!!! WTG Chris.

Nice picts Ms. President, I always love seeing pictures of me stuffing my fat face :wacko: :smashfreakB:
Everytime I bit on a snack you magically appeared with a click. UGH lol :wacko:

Great Meeting!!!! WTG Chris.

Nice picts Ms. President, I always love seeing pictures of me stuffing my fat face :wacko: :smashfreakB:
Everytime I bit on a snack you magically appeared with a click. UGH lol :wacko:

I never would have known how good that cupcake was unless you told me!!!! lol

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Thanks for the great shots, Franny.
I had a great time as well. While apistos aren't really my bag, I was in for a surprise with some really great information on soft water chemistry. This is something I knew nothing about, but will be invaluable down the road for my eartheater tank as well as for catfish breeding.

Thanks a ton, Chris!

Ps- stopped by Home Depot yesterday. Walked around the garden section and saw a number of different products. I found both peat moss and sphagnum peat moss. Is there a difference between the two?

Pps- cupcakes were bomb as usual! Thanks for the refreshments, guys. :)

Ps- stopped by Home Depot yesterday. Walked around the garden section and saw a number of different products. I found both peat moss and sphagnum peat moss. Is there a difference between the two?
:)

My guess is it depends on what specific plant material is in the "peat moss" since "sphagnum peat moss" refers to a peat whose composition is primarily made of decomposing or partially decomposed sphagnum moss.

mrkillie

Members

Peat moss is decayed and usually compacted sphagnum moss. Both will soften water and make it more acidic, as well as add tannins to the water, but sphagnum moss will decay more readily in your tank. Do not use a lot of sphagnum moss if you are not prepared to make at least weekly water changes of 50% - I'd use peat moss instead.

Some killikeepers now use sphagnum moss in place of java moss in their tanks. The decaying moss provides microcritters for the fry to feed on, and if the tank is packed with the stuff providing many hiding places, many fry will survive. Also makes the water very soft and acid when you use a lot in this manner. I have done this, and makes breeding some killies a lot easier. But again, minimum of 50% weekly water changes are necessary.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
i just get the sphagnum that is 100% peat moss. No fertilizers or additives. Its usually about $8 a cubic yard here.

Keep in mind, you MUST soak this first or it will make a HUGE mess in your tank. Its very very dusty.

I use old fish boxes to pre-soak it. Then you can squeeze out the excess and put it underneath the substrate or use the tincture to mix with tap water.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Could someone post a pic of the best stuff to buy from Home Depot or Lowe's?

I think that I'm going to make some in a 5g bucket and ladle some in during the next water change.

What's a good approach: fill a 5g bucket with dechlor water, add a couple of handfulls of moss, let it settle overnight, use a quart bucket to take out some tincture and add it to the tank?

Thanks,
Matt

i just get the sphagnum that is 100% peat moss. No fertilizers or additives. Its usually about $8 a cubic yard here.

Keep in mind, you MUST soak this first or it will make a HUGE mess in your tank. Its very very dusty.

I use old fish boxes to pre-soak it. Then you can squeeze out the excess and put it underneath the substrate or use the tincture to mix with tap water.

mscichlid

Founder
When I used to buy it the bag was a light green bale from Canada, ph 4.0. No ferts and no additives. The spaghnum is usually inside. Comes in small bags.

mrkillie

Members
All peat is sphagnum, but not all sphagnum is peat. Just like all thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs (well, I do know some people where that is true :D )

If it looks like dirt, it's peat moss; if it looks like dry moss, it's sphagnum moss. Peat is sold in bails, usually anywhere from 1 to 4 cubic feet, and is usually outdoors in the garden center. Sphagnum is rarely sold in quantities larger than 1 cu. ft., and is usually found near indoor potting mixes to be used as a mulch for potted plants or to make a pot out of a hanging wire basket (by stuffing it in between the wires tightly enough so that it will hold potting mix). ;)