• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone here used Tampa Bay Cichlids to order fish online?

lock jaw

CCA Members
I have been looking for some good peacock cichlid varieties and found this site. They have a lot of them and guarentee 1.5-2 inch males for $18.99. Its a bit pricey but I'm tried of going to fish stores on a weekly basis waiting for them to restock their tanks. Have any of you guys used this site?

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
ABHI, THE CLUB HAS MANY BREEDERS WITH HIGH QUALITY FISH AT BETTER PRICES AND YOU CAN GO LOOK AT THE FISH IN PERSON SO YOU WILL SEE WHAT YOU ARE PURCHASING. IT'S A "WIN WIN" FOR EVERYONE

lock jaw

CCA Members
ABHI, THE CLUB HAS MANY BREEDERS WITH HIGH QUALITY FISH AT BETTER PRICES AND YOU CAN GO LOOK AT THE FISH IN PERSON SO YOU WILL SEE WHAT YOU ARE PURCHASING. IT'S A "WIN WIN" FOR EVERYONE
Hey Jim, thanks for the response! Where do I find these breeders?

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
If you create a post of what you are looking for I'm sure people will chime in, I did that and was easily able to secure some fish
Like Korey said, just create a post of exactly what you are looking for(WTB Peacocks) and you will get numerous responses from members-very easy and quick to do. With the type of fish that you are looking for there are a lot of breeders in the club that breed many variety's of Peacocks- good luck

socalkid18

Yes. I've ordered from Tampa Bay Cichlids and would not recommend. Ordered more than a dozen "guaranteed males." Received maybe four males. I was suspect when I received the fish and they were less than an inch long. Immanently emailed the owner (David) questioning how he was able to vent (guarantee) fish so young. He reassured me he was an expert and guaranteed me they were males.

After a few months the aggression level increased to deadly in my tank. One of my favorite fish (Sunshine) was killed and I destroyed the suspect. Shortly there after I found a female carrying babies (removed and donated her). Then aggression level increased again and I lost another fish. Found another female carrying fry (removed and donated her). I've since located another three females and had to remove them.

In subsequent email correspondence I've found David (owner) to be condescending and indifferent. He did offer to replace the fish, however, he would just send me more females to repeat the cycle. If you care about your time, money, and fish tank......I would NOT order from this business.

Hope this helps others In avoiding the stress I endured.
Vlad

lock jaw

CCA Members
That sucks. I ordered smaller fish from Dave's rare fish to save some money, he told me its difficult to guarantee all are males, which is fair. They are not easy to tell apart at 1 inch or less, even at two inches, some males will color up right away and some won't. I thought my red empress male that I got from them was a female even when he was 4 inches, he didn't color up till at all till around 4-5. I don't like buying online anymore because I don't get to see the actual fish I am buying. I go to stores, conventions and I check this forum to buy fish, they might cost more but you get to see it. Most people will sell 3-5 inch fish with color, for me that's better than waiting 6 months to grow out juveniles and find out you have a bunch of females.

Gcohen

CCA Members
I have been looking for some good peacock cichlid varieties and found this site. They have a lot of them and guarentee 1.5-2 inch males for $18.99. Its a bit pricey but I'm tried of going to fish stores on a weekly basis waiting for them to restock their tanks. Have any of you guys used this site?
He guarantees males and I waited eight months and they both turned out to be females! Live fish direct in Utah is awesome

CN I get the names of local breeders? Thank you

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
I still say the club has a lot to offer with good honest fish keepers and very good prices. I have had good luck and quality fish with Jay of Cichlids are Special. He is located in Southern PA and you can arrive a meeting with him for a pick up. I have heard Southest Cichlids and Imperial Tropicals are great online Vendors. You can try Reed from Something Fishy ( a club member) which is local (Northern VA).

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
He guarantees males and I waited eight months and they both turned out to be females! Live fish direct in Utah is awesome

CN I get the names of local breeders? Thank you
I breed. Let me know what you're looking for G Gcohen

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Interested in all. What do you have?
Interested in all. What do you have?
Aulonocara Peacock- Blue Dragon blood, Orange Dragon blood, Albino Dragon blood, Ruby Red
Protomelas -Taeniolatus Super Red, Steveni Taiwan
Placidochromis- Phenochilus Tanzania Star Sapphire (fry not quite ready yet)
Astatotilapia Burtoni
Albino Bristlenose
L144a lemon longfin and normal fin
Super Red Bristlenose (fry not quite ready yet)

AquaBrit

Yes. I've ordered from Tampa Bay Cichlids and would not recommend. Ordered more than a dozen "guaranteed males." Received maybe four males. I was suspect when I received the fish and they were less than an inch long. Immanently emailed the owner (David) questioning how he was able to vent (guarantee) fish so young. He reassured me he was an expert and guaranteed me they were males.

After a few months the aggression level increased to deadly in my tank. One of my favorite fish (Sunshine) was killed and I destroyed the suspect. Shortly there after I found a female carrying babies (removed and donated her). Then aggression level increased again and I lost another fish. Found another female carrying fry (removed and donated her). I've since located another three females and had to remove them. Most of us know that at best this is a 50/50 shot with juvenile cichlids so we all accept a female or two is accepted. But good suppliers acknowledge this and will replace fish without question. And also send you larger fish that are healthier have a greater chance of survival and are more likely to be male. However David with TBC as you do rightly put us condescending

In subsequent email correspondence I've found David (owner) to be condescending and indifferent. He did offer to replace the fish, however, he would just send me more females to repeat the cycle. If you care about your time, money, and fish tank......I would NOT order from this business.

Hope this helps others In avoiding the stress I endured.
Vlad

I just noticed this and decided to
register so I could reply in the hope it may help others out. I had the exact same experience with Tampa Bay cichlids & David,being sent supposed ‘Guaranteed Males’. Receiving 1-1.25” very juvenile fish which is a problem right off the bat. Generally the health of the fish was poor and being so immature there chance of survival was reduced also. Not to mention the need for an extended separation to provide grow-out opportunity. So compared to other reputable on line suppliers this is the biggest problem his stock is so small they need special requirements for survival. The other Glaring Problem is the policy for replacing ‘Guaranteed Males’. Most of us know there is at best a 50/50 chance of getting males so one or two females along the way is to be expected. Good on-line suppliers except that and replace females without question. However David with TBC as you so rightly put is condescending and acts irritated when faced with this reality. Even having the gall to suggest the customer is at fault for waiting too long to be sure a fish is in fact a female. With total disregard to the effort and time that may of gone into that fish to grow out to 3-4” to be then faced with having to home what might be an unwanted fish. So apologies for having to vent ‘no pun intended’ but a very unpleasant experience and stark contrast to other great suppliers (live fish direct).
Only wish I was closer to the club breeders to take advantage of that opportunity.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Not a fan of Tampa Cichlids or Bluegrass aquatics which David now owns. Under Eddie Bluegrass was good but hes since retired and sold to David. No bueno

lock jaw

CCA Members
Thanks for all the responses on this post. I posted this in March 2018, I was new to the African cichlid hobby then. This is still great information for the new hobbyist.