• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Toss heater or ok to use?

captmicha

Members
I think we have 120 AC.

I ordered heaters and stupidly didn't check them when they arrived to make sure they're the specs I ordered.

This is a European plug type, and 220 v.

Is this something I can use a plug adapter for and still use? Or possibly swap out the plug.

D3BB755C-3E79-4CFD-B7BB-D6D4F9AF8AC7.jpeg

EB64026E-1C4B-4A1B-89E6-1956F02B3320.jpeg

JLW

CCA Members
I would be terrified to use that on any tank, and frankly scared to have it in my house.
I admit, the incredibly bad grammar and spelling on the packaging is one part of it, but ... it is not UL certified. It has had zero safety inspections or certifications on it, none. And its made in a factory somewhere to be sold ultra cheaply.

Heaters failing can kill fish, and, since they're already producing heat... they can cause fires, as well as severe electrical problems. If that's not sealed right, you could electrocute your fish, not to mention yourself.

Adding an adapter to it to change the input voltage is certainly possible ... but now you're just adding another place for failure.

halak

Members
I would not use an adapter that's permanently plugged in. I had an EU-US (220V-110V) adapter once for I don't remember what, and it kept overheating.

Maryland Guppy

CCA Members
A quality adapter that does not change the output voltage would work.

The issue:
At half the voltage the output is cut in half.
A 50 watt heater becomes a 25 watt heater and so on.

FishEggs

A quality adapter that does not change the output voltage would work.

The issue:
At half the voltage the output is cut in half.
A 50 watt heater becomes a 25 watt heater and so on.
Would it cut the wattage in half or would it double the amp draw?

captmicha

Members
I would be terrified to use that on any tank, and frankly scared to have it in my house.
I admit, the incredibly bad grammar and spelling on the packaging is one part of it, but ... it is not UL certified. It has had zero safety inspections or certifications on it, none. And its made in a factory somewhere to be sold ultra cheaply.

Heaters failing can kill fish, and, since they're already producing heat... they can cause fires, as well as severe electrical problems. If that's not sealed right, you could electrocute your fish, not to mention yourself.

Adding an adapter to it to change the input voltage is certainly possible ... but now you're just adding another place for failure.
Esperts 😂😂😂
What's the point of being rude?

Do you think it's normal conduct for an adult, or are you trying to drive people away from the club?

captmicha

Members

Can't believe I forgot about UL... Or I guess I can. Can't seem to remember anything these days.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
They're just offering honest advice. Criticizing the grammar is almost expected, it'd worry me too.

I used a brand new heater that seemed to be Chinese made, even with the proper type of plugs, the thermostat failed immediately, and I just threw it away.

Heaters are just one of those things you're taking a big risk with if you go ultra cheap, its worth it to at least go middle of the road.

Becca

Members
I either use aquatop or jager. I’ve had good success with those thus far personally. Affordable too

I second this. Aquatop is a good "bang for your buck" but Jagers last quite a bit longer and it's nice that you can calibrate them a little. I've also had decent luck with a "Pro-Heat" heater, though I am using one that is undersized for the tank it's in as a precaution.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I second this. Aquatop is a good "bang for your buck" but Jagers last quite a bit longer and it's nice that you can calibrate them a little. I've also had decent luck with a "Pro-Heat" heater, though I am using one that is undersized for the tank it's in as a precaution.
On brands, I've had problems with many different brands, including some that are highly rated. I really don't know what brands are best, and I don't think anecdotal reports should give anyone much comfort, due to their small sample size.

For that reason, I only use heaters when necessary. Most of my fish are fine in temperatures down to 70F or so.

JLW

CCA Members
I would second that. My house runs about 76-78°F all year round. That's more than adequate for most fish. Even down into the low 70s is fine... and if you're dipping into the 60s, you're either an attorney's office in August or trying to save on your heating bill too much. And, to be honest, if you're house is in the 60s, most aquarium heaters are going to have a hard time keeping the tank warm anyhow.

captmicha

Members
I would second that. My house runs about 76-78°F all year round. That's more than adequate for most fish. Even down into the low 70s is fine... and if you're dipping into the 60s, you're either an attorney's office in August or trying to save on your heating bill too much. And, to be honest, if you're house is in the 60s, most aquarium heaters are going to have a hard time keeping the tank warm anyhow.
You don't see slow growth at those low temps?

My basement varies a lot in temps. It's mostly cooler in summer, but I can probably turn them off in winter.

I've been trying to match to recorded species specs.

I've actually had some of the worst heater results with well known brands. Not old heaters either.

I looked over my heaters and a bunch are the cheapo Chinese ones where I forgot about UL. These are the ones I've actually been having the best performance with. Oddly enough.