• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How to make water changes easier?

AquaStudent

Members
I currently have my 75G set up in the lower level of a townhouse. I'm trying to come up with a good way to refill the tank during water changes.

During the warmer months I can get away with using a collapsible garden hose from outside but I still haven't found a good alternative for winter.

There isn't good sink or bathroom access for buckets or pumps. The laundry room is accessible but tight. I am looking into building an arduino based temperature monitor so it automatically mixes the right amount of hot and cold water to give me the target temperature.

Think it's worth installing a sink or hose connection for the interior? What techniques do you use?

Leffler817

CCA Members
Do you use a python or similar device that attached to the faucet? My utility sink faucet had a hose end on it but I’ve gone to the hardware store and bought proper attachments for my kitchen sink before. It may take a while depending on your water pressure and whatnot but it’s pretty easy.

Digital

Members
I've never been concerned about using the garden hose in the winter for 25% changes and I've never lost a fish from shock during a water change. IMO, a lot of online how-to-guides are written for perfection, as if complexity and detail makes you more right. Again IMO, they sometimes ignore how resilient these fish really are.

To make draining a tank faster, I took 1/2" pvc to make a rigis siphon side to secure to my drain hose. i got a hose at lowes in the air and water line section. You buy by the foot. The PVC is all cemented expect the down spot on tank side. it has an air break hole drilled into its side so that I can reverse it in the top of the PVC elbow to do a 50% change instead of 25%. I use this with that long hose on all my tanks to do faster water changes every week with zero buckets

Marlin

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I use a 50ft python because my tanks are spread out around my condo. I have added a inline pump from Cobalt to pull water from the tank faster. I gravity siphon to the toilet. Recently, I added a quick disconnect from Python to the end of the python and to the sink. Things run much quicker and smoother now.

AquaStudent

Members
Thanks for the replies

I don't use a python for refilling because the nearest sink is a flight of stairs away. That's why I was considering adding plumbing to make a utility sink in the laundry room.

I usually do 75% water changes but I may have to scale back the volume and increase the frequency. 75% is likely overkill but it has kept the tank crystal clear.

AquaStudent

Members
This cold snap has been rough. Tried to refill my tank the other day but the hose spicket was frozen.
I got my butcher workout in but it also served as a not so gentle reminder of why I hate using buckets.

rsanz

monster tank newbie
I can't use a Python because it cannot attach to any of my faucets. Not a one.

So, I improvised. I have a cheapy pump with a float switch that I got from Harbor Freight. I put that pump in a 20 gallon Rubbermaid garbage can and then siphon with a large gravel vac from the tank into the Rubbermaid. The the float switch activates, the pump removes water from the Rubbermaid through a long hose out the door to the garden.

I then move the Rubbermaid to the kitchen counter and fill from the faucet, which then gets pumped back into the tank. This lets me control the temperature of the water. I am on a well so I do not need to use dechlorinator which is nice.

The limiting factor is how quickly the faucet can fill the Rubbermaid. It is slow. It usually takes about 40 minutes from start to finish to drain and fill the tank for a 50% water change on my 125g. I wish it took 15 minutes; I would do water changes a lot more often, lol.

Do you have room for a 55gal barrel? In our old townhouse I cut into the water line and installed a hose bib. Ran the hose to a horse trough float valve on the barrel and dropped in a heater. Always had 50 gal of 72 degree water on hand. I used a AC Power head for transfers.

FishEggs

Do you have room for a 55gal barrel? In our old townhouse I cut into the water line and installed a hose bib. Ran the hose to a horse trough float valve on the barrel and dropped in a heater. Always had 50 gal of 72 degree water on hand. I used a AC Power head for transfers.
Not sure what the horse actually does but I'm intrigued and want to see pictures of this set up. :)

Becca

Members
Thanks for the replies

I don't use a python for refilling because the nearest sink is a flight of stairs away. That's why I was considering adding plumbing to make a utility sink in the laundry room.

I usually do 75% water changes but I may have to scale back the volume and increase the frequency. 75% is likely overkill but it has kept the tank crystal clear.
I fill tanks from a sink downstairs.