1. Don't forget to vote for your favorite picture in the Photo of the Month section.
  2. CCA Breaks the 1/4 million mark! Over 250,000 posts on the CCA forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Thank you for supporting the BIG Fish Deal 5. We had a great turn out. See you next year!
    Dismiss Notice

How to make water changes easier?

Discussion in 'Equipment & DIY Ideas' started by AquaStudent, Nov 23, 2017.

1. AquaStudent

AquaStudent Members

Tony
    Last Activity:
    Nov 28, 2017
    I currently have my 75G set up in the lower level of a townhouse. I'm trying to come up with a good way to refill the tank during water changes.

During the warmer months I can get away with using a collapsible garden hose from outside but I still haven't found a good alternative for winter.

There isn't good sink or bathroom access for buckets or pumps. The laundry room is accessible but tight. I am looking into building an arduino based temperature monitor so it automatically mixes the right amount of hot and cold water to give me the target temperature.

Think it's worth installing a sink or hose connection for the interior? What techniques do you use?

2. Leffler817

Leffler817 Global Moderators
    Staff Member

Shawn Leffler
    Last Activity:
    Today at 12:06 PM
    Do you use a python or similar device that attached to the faucet? My utility sink faucet had a hose end on it but I’ve gone to the hardware store and bought proper attachments for my kitchen sink before. It may take a while depending on your water pressure and whatnot but it’s pretty easy.

3. Digital

Digital Members

Marlin
    Last Activity:
    Today at 3:23 PM
    I've never been concerned about using the garden hose in the winter for 25% changes and I've never lost a fish from shock during a water change. IMO, a lot of online how-to-guides are written for perfection, as if complexity and detail makes you more right. Again IMO, they sometimes ignore how resilient these fish really are.

To make draining a tank faster, I took 1/2" pvc to make a rigis siphon side to secure to my drain hose. i got a hose at lowes in the air and water line section. You buy by the foot. The PVC is all cemented expect the down spot on tank side. it has an air break hole drilled into its side so that I can reverse it in the top of the PVC elbow to do a 50% change instead of 25%. I use this with that long hose on all my tanks to do faster water changes every week with zero buckets

Marlin

4. Andrewtfw

Andrewtfw Global Moderators
    Staff Member

Andrew
    Last Activity:
    Yesterday at 9:32 PM
    I use a 50ft python because my tanks are spread out around my condo. I have added a inline pump from Cobalt to pull water from the tank faster. I gravity siphon to the toilet. Recently, I added a quick disconnect from Python to the end of the python and to the sink. Things run much quicker and smoother now.

5. AquaStudent

AquaStudent Members

Tony
    Last Activity:
    Nov 28, 2017
    Thanks for the replies

I don't use a python for refilling because the nearest sink is a flight of stairs away. That's why I was considering adding plumbing to make a utility sink in the laundry room.

I usually do 75% water changes but I may have to scale back the volume and increase the frequency. 75% is likely overkill but it has kept the tank crystal clear.

6. mchambers

mchambers Occasional Corydoras Breeder / Board of Directors
    Staff Member

Matt Chambers
    Last Activity:
    Today at 12:36 PM
    I’d think that installing a utility sink would be a huge help.

7. AquaStudent

AquaStudent Members

Tony
    Last Activity:
    Nov 28, 2017
    I agree. It definitely won't hurt. Wonder if I could pull it off

8. FishEggs

FishEggs CCA Members

Matt
    Last Activity:
    Today at 12:06 PM
    Depending on how the plumbing is for the washer, it could be really easy to install one.