• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pond is in!

FishEggs

It would be kinda hard to tell how they are doing in the pond until you see them floating. By then it's too late.
I got a peeper that hangs out in my little tub.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Take a lot of pictures. And let us know when you get some fry!
Here's one of the sunfish. I know it's not much of a picture, but they're in a dirty 10 gallon for the next month or so. Saw one eating some grindal worms today, so I think all is well.IMG_1261.JPG

mchambers

Former CCA member
IMG_1263.JPG The raccoons have taken to having very late night parties around our pond. On three occasions in the last 10 days, they've knocked down a nearby hummingbird feeder, on one occasion even unscrewing the base from the tube and dragging both several feet. I've now got it hung in a way where they seemingly can't knock it down, but they're also torturing my pond plants.

Last eeek, I found a pot in the pond knocked over, and a miniature cattail floating. I wasn't too surprised, since the pot was near the edge of the pond, at the narrowest spot. I divided the plant into two, and put it in two narrower pot, one of which I wedged between some roacjs, and other of which I put out more in the middle of the pond, where the raccoons can't reach it.

This morning, I found a water hyacinth pulled out of the pond. I suppose the raccoons were trying to catch fish, but I don't think it worked.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
If you need a trapper, just say the word. I've dealt with many a racoon in my day. You can catch them easily using catch-alive traps and then relocate them or help them "transition" as I've heard it called these days...

mchambers

Former CCA member
If you need a trapper, just say the word. I've dealt with many a racoon in my day. You can catch them easily using catch-alive traps and then relocate them or help them "transition" as I've heard it called these days...
Thanks. That's a very generous offer. I afraid we'd be trapping for a long time, because we have a lot of raccoons in this meighborhood. In fact, I saw two running through a busy intersection at 6 am today, about four blocks from our house.

I've got the hummingbird feeders hung quite securely, and it seems like my rearrangement of the pots in the pond has done the trick. They do sometimes get on our roof, and we can hear them in our bedroom, but it's only a minor annoyance.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Thanks. That's a very generous offer. I afraid we'd be trapping for a long time, because we have a lot of raccoons in this meighborhood. In fact, I saw two running through a busy intersection at 6 am today, about four blocks from our house.

I've got the hummingbird feeders hung quite securely, and it seems like my rearrangement of the pots in the pond has done the trick. They do sometimes get on our roof, and we can hear them in our bedroom, but it's only a minor annoyance.

I've taken 6 in two weeks at my place. My neighbor took 26 from his lawn in one summer. I've got some...experience. lol

chriscoli

Administrator
I've decided to pick my battles with the raccoons (or, could be possums, I guess). Lately, there's one plant that they keep knocking over and I've decided to just leave it. Otherwise, they don't seem to bother much.

Funny about the hyacinth being dragged around!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Picked up two of the black banded sunfish from Frank yesterday, and put them in the pond, along with the four blue spotted sunfish. The rainbow dace seem to be doing well, too.