• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pond is in!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Contractor finished work on our small pond today. Now to add plants and fish, and similar stuff!
snJA-b0hK_uE_k4vk1jCfYLOOgPSjC_Iq3g7a1FiAxK4eUEa0gQRM0rMUIHwRzPUlT5tKWJc1s8favwr0XYHvMUvDFivNIS91sPkoTily7CJ2_I4-7f-jXoIEEfiz65ytrTDhheMMmFdJDNpXwi2ePauNZjVLwu_HW5zvYu4qtOZnognA7YulSroXK_gwOaQCem6x-bAmhlrfKxmc97lzBrMGyg68pdF8YRA3iQgNwpbZHZv70Zfe6qK4p6jXeRMoSB5DDDcsx0zlV91wlzkgAkI9GouuWc7julzaUXyinLF03yNTKNLDABYc8ENCzGd-H0EHcP0vinegNcTm3yp54CudaQvwoHoO9VkmKL7nA3YepboxEARJe0HVWU0OLHZWBSJfWBO17JqcVFYqmpuKBQh86BscZrPzJWN9JxSqqJsZSGD6JgglclI9DAeWm3A0J2Hm73at2EMQ9hgDCghRnNmM7MwsBXxK9OQoZB1uxvc7TlV0xj3hU2TTq-y9cvyLMiRXxyjaFwgldWB3YJ13Z5uAiIa3D5oMbRaFThJokBZbqnttVKh8GLEkXYJkerEiSYiN7wNNwiUpi15bu-hSdvc9uOOXyg0U99FytbuAQcMOpHIgCm5Mkh6=w1192-h894-no

mchambers

Former CCA member
Don't think I'll put corydoras in there, although I suppose gossei or sterbai might be happy until fall. Definitely will put tetras or goodeids in there to eat mosquito larvae. May put some Cryptoheros myrnae in there, since I've got four that are hiding in plants in one of my tanks, since the other two in the tank spawned.

I'm guessing it's around 700 gallons.

Becca

Members
White clouds will winter over. Come get some :p.

We put ours in this week (only about 125 gallons - preformed shell) and (I think) we've finally got the waterfalls to quit leaking. I'm going to throw some madagascar rainbows and congo tetras out there.

mchambers

Former CCA member
White clouds will winter over. Come get some :p.

We put ours in this week (only about 125 gallons - preformed shell) and (I think) we've finally got the waterfalls to quit leaking. I'm going to throw some madagascar rainbows and congo tetras out there.
Thanks! Will think about it. Still deciding on stocking. Walter's black banded sunfish post sure got me interested in those.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Thanks! Will think about it. Still deciding on stocking. Walter's black banded sunfish post sure got me interested in those.

Don't most fish need about 5 ft of water to winter over? When I was looking into putting a pond in when I was in Pittsburgh I wanted to keep local fish. I was told and I read numerous sources that the depth needed to be more than 5 ft for most of the species.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Don't most fish need about 5 ft of water to winter over? When I was looking into putting a pond in when I was in Pittsburgh I wanted to keep local fish. I was told and I read numerous sources that the depth needed to be more than 5 ft for most of the species.
To winter goldfish over in our area, they need an area that's at least 2.5 feet deep.

zendog

My little pond is about 2 feet deep in the center, mostly less for the rest of it and Rosy red minnows and goldfish winter over fine.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Two of my neighbors have ponds that are about two feet deep, and koi or goldfish have overwintered for years.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Recommendations for fish that will overwinter here in DC? Becca has suggested white cloud mountain minnows, which aren't my favorite, but I could be persuaded. Extra points for native fish suggestions.

FishEggs

I can catch ya some of the fish that swim in the little Creek behind my house. There is at least 2 different kinds. One looks like some type of goby the way it skitters across the bottom.
Have you seen mountain minnows' colors when raised outside?