• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What's Breeding?

dogofwar

CCA Members
The warm temps in my garage fishroom have spurred a bunch of spawns:
  • Cichlasoma sp, "Zanja Honda"
  • Cichlasoma sp. "La Palma"
  • Amatitlania septemfasciata "Rio San Juan, Costa Rica"
  • Amatitlania kanna "Rio Banano, Costa Rica"
  • Amatitlania sp. "Honduran Red Point" (Danli, Honduras)
  • Amatitlania nigrofasciata "Marble Cons"
  • Amatitlania siquia "Rio Cubayo, Costa Rica"
  • Amatitlania siquia "Rio Animas, Costa Rica"
  • Neetroplus nematopus "Lago Nicaragua"
Hoping to add a couple more to the list this week :)

What New World fish are breeding for you?

Matt

Becca

Members
Dicrossus maculatus, but the little b*stards keep eating their eggs.

Also, repeated spawns (and a good number of grow-outs) from my C. venezuelanus... not cichlids, but still new world :p.

Reed

Very Fishe
Got a bunch spawning including
  • Blue Dolphins
  • Red Top Lwandas
  • Pundamilla nyereri python island
  • Irridescent Dragon Bloods
  • Super Red Empress
  • Yellow Blaze
I sure I forget a few

mchambers

Former CCA member
For corydoras eggs, I add an alder cone and a small ramshorn snail, and hatch the eggs in a shallow pan. Sometimes works, but not always.

I used to use Methylene blue, but found far too messy. Hydrogen peroxide is another option.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I also use the alder cones. Natural anti-fungicide. Won't work if the male doesn't fertilize the eggs though!

Matt

PS Australoheros cf. scitulus "Rio Queguay" were breeding when I arrived home. Don't think anyone else is keeping these guys let alone breeding them. They're in a community so if there are wigglers, I'll pull some and try to raise them...

18485583_1411683578888073_868212972155497902_n.jpg

Becca

Members
For corydoras eggs, I add an alder cone and a small ramshorn snail, and hatch the eggs in a shallow pan. Sometimes works, but not always.

I used to use Methylene blue, but found far too messy. Hydrogen peroxide is another option.
I steeped my last batch of Cory eggs in rooibos tea and had no fungus whatsoever.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've got Corydoras sp. C123 and schultzei eggs I found on Saturday, but I don't think warmer temperatures had anything to do with it. I've got a Cryptoheros myrnae pair that is digging and chasing the other fish, but I haven't see eggs or wrigglers yet.

dogofwar

CCA Members
The myrnae are quite secretive. You'll probably just see a cloud of fry :)

I've got Corydoras sp. C123 and schultzei eggs I found on Saturday, but I don't think warmer temperatures had anything to do with it. I've got a Cryptoheros myrnae pair that is digging and chasing the other fish, but I haven't see eggs or wrigglers yet.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
My Aequidens patricki have been spawning about every three weeks for a few months now. I don't pull any fry. The parents take turns guarding for about 1.5 weeks, before the tankmates tire of the reduced space and move in...