• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What's Breeding?

Becca

Members
More detail, please. Was the tea freshly made at normal tea strength? How long were the eggs in the tea?
The eggs were in a 20 gallon tank. I hung 2 Wegman's brand Rooibos tea bags in it because I'm seriously lazy.

Shrimp also seem to think Rooibos leaves are crack... I tried it in a shrimp tank and they broke through the tea bags to eat the tea leaves. Next time I'm going with silicone strainers and loose tea.

mchambers

Former CCA member
The eggs were in a 20 gallon tank. I hung 2 Wegman's brand Rooibos tea bags in it because I'm seriously lazy.

Shrimp also seem to think Rooibos leaves are crack... I tried it in a shrimp tank and they broke through the tea bags to eat the tea leaves. Next time I'm going with silicone strainers and loose tea.
I've used to provide a blackwater effect in tanks, and I've read that it has antifungal properties, but there isn't a lot written on it.

Becca

Members
I've used to provide a blackwater effect in tanks, and I've read that it has antifungal properties, but there isn't a lot written on it.

I gave it a shot for the anti fungal properties. It's rich in minerals, too, like calcium, so I'm using it as a lazy way to reminerlize rain water for shrimp tanks. I can confirm that it upped my TDS from 25 to 80, but I haven't done any additional testing and likely won't.

mchambers

Former CCA member
interesting on the TDS. Guess I should measure that too, but I'm usually lazy about such things.

I'm thinking the remnants of TS Cindy may give me a nice opportunity to make some water changes using rain water, and I'll try to remember to test the effect of adding Rooibos then.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Is the main market for Rooibos tea fish or do people actually drink it? ;)
I sometimes drink it, and have at least one friend who does. You'll see it at health food stores and tea shops.

But yes, I definitely use more of it in my tanks than in my body!

Becca

Members
I've also got both regular and black emperor tetras growing out/spawning continuously and a new batch of BNP eggs (new world, though not cichlids). In the "Not New World" category: Cherry barbs, Tanichthys albanoubes, and Norman's Lampeyes have all been producing fry.

Carolineep

CCA Members
Oh Frank what have I done? I have a bajillion red velvet sword babies with more on the way.

Guppies and platys are going to town as well have the guppies outside and they are loving it!

Xystichromis phytophagus are reproducing faster than I can keep up with I think at this point it might be cheaper to fly with hubby to lake Victoria stay a month drop the fish off in the lake and come home via fog sled run through Alaska ;
then buy tanks for all of them.
Obviously this is a fantastic problem to have and I may be slightly exaggerating.

Paralabidochromis Chromogynos are doing a lot of dancing but i have not seen actual spawning.

Hunter babes are growing like weeds!

FishEggs

So you're growing your own live food/feeders. That's the smart way so you know they're not carrying any diseases or parasites.

mchambers

Former CCA member
C. Myrnae and H. Multispinosa fry are both doing fine, with their parents guarding them fiercely.

Corydoras schultzei (or whatever they are) have spawned twice this week.