• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The start of the fish room remodel.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Okay,
I have been talking about this for a couple years.. Okay many years but now
I hope to start my fishroom remodel after I get back from the ACA convention next month.

So, this should be the first group of posts in a loooonnnnggggg line of posts on this subject.

I have done some research and think I have some of the items needed picked out and a plan in my head.

The basic layout will not change. Most of the tank sizes will not change. I wish they could but I am limited by space and
will be even more limited when I move the tanks further from the walls to put the bulk head and pipes in.

Plus I have started listing reasons that I should do this so that I can talk myself and the wife into it. LOL

Last edited:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Reason 1 for doing it....
The fishroom is about 23 years old. I built it before any club was in Maryland and there was no internet.
I could have done better. LOL

Reason 2 for doing it....
The wood stand on the right side of the room is bowing. The center vertical support is rotting off in the back from 23 years of moisture on the bottom of it.

Reason 3 for doing it...
I spend many hours doing water changes and the remodel may fix that if I do it right.

Reason 4 for doing it...
The fish would be in better health if I can do automatic water changes more often rather than the massive water change every 2
weeks that I do not.

Reason 5 for doing it...
"But everyone else is doing it" LOL

Last edited:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Reason 1 for not doing it...
Time and effort. It will take me a long time to move everything into a temp home so that I can disassemble the room down to the studs.

Reason 2 for not doing it...
Money. This will not be cheap. Between the carbon filter, the piping, the bulk heads, the wood, etc, this will add up quick. And that does not even count the tanks. Yes, most of the tanks are over 20 years old. I will be replacing them when I do it. This will add a good bit of cost even if I get most of them during a $1. per gallon sale.

Reason 3 for not doing it....
I keep thinking about getting out of the hobby. But I know even if I get out, I will be back soon.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The first items I plan to pick up.

3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System - Model AP903
Good for 20gpm and 100,000 gallons
IMG_1981_zpsaknxysan.png

The only problem is it also has a micron filter in it which
may clog quick and the replacements look expensive so
I will also add this one as a prefilter - 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System - Model AP801-C
IMG_1980_zpsqpzfbnin.png

Last edited:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Okay, question.
This may sound stupid but has anyone here had any experience with painting PVC.

My room plan includes making the wall the same color as the back ground so that "in my opinion" the fish will stand out more. I am painting dark blue.
I keep thinking about the pvc sticking out. Only thing I am concerned with is if it peels.
I figure if its dark blue like the walls it wont stand out as much.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Thanks.
Oh and I am not planning on putting painted parts in the tank. I am just thinking about my air pipes going around the room.

Hannibal

Members
I second the Krylon Fusion. I used it when I created my spraybar for my FX5 when I was running it on my 75. I would imagine if I could run it in the tank and it held up great that it would be fine outside of the tank for air.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've used plastidip on PVC with good results, but I don't know if there are a variety of colors available.

Howie

Members
Plastidip

I've used plastidip on PVC with good results, but I don't know if there are a variety of colors available.

Plastidip makes two different blue colors. Have used it on a bunch of tank BGs and it looks great and really makes the fish stand out, especially when you use mystic white PFS.

chriscoli

Administrator
Mike B used a tint that mixes with a can of clear primer to color his PVC.....can't remember what it was called.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
So this is now real.

I emptied a portion of the club room for temp housing.
IMG_2116_zpsfhqr8pkp.jpg

Ripped up the carpet.
IMG_2117_zpsre4h3gxl.jpg

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I set up two of those racks yesterday. I then put 3 of the 55's on there out there and
got them running. I stopped there for the day. I wanted to make sure the fish survived the trip before I started more.
You should have seen what was behind the 55's in the old spot. Between the stuff that fell down and I could not reach, the fish skeletons, and the mold on the lower wall from 23 years of water splashing and of course floods. Was pretty bad looking. LOL

Will hit some more of it tonight I hope.