• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WINNERS IN THE AB CONTEST

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
BEST IN SHOW Alex Wenchel for his 10 g planted tank with grass carpet and overhanging cryptocoryne and with chili rasboras.

PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD Jen Williams for her 17 gallon lazy "L" planted tank with cliff and with white cloud mountain fish.

Class 1 NANO TANKS
FIRST PLACE Victor Almeida for his 2.5 gallon planted bowl with shrimp.
SECOND PLACE Geoffrey Melgren for his edge tank
THIRD PLACE Frank Cowherd for his 6 gallon cube with harlequin rasboras and anubias nana on rock.

Class 2 MEDIUM TANKS
FIRST PLACE Jen Williams for her 17 gallon tank
SECOND PLACE Alex Wenchel for his 10 gallon tank
THIRD PLACE Victor Almeida for his 20 gallon long planted tank with neons and rummy nose tetras.

Class 3 LARGE TANKS

FIRST PLACE Geoffrey Melgren for his 60 gallon cubic paludarium with tree frog and rams.
SECOND PLACE Cichlid Club of York for their 40 gallon with large rocks and colorful cichlids.
THIRD PLACE Matt Esterly for his 40 gallon

Class 4 C.A.R.E.S. TANKS

FIRST PLACE Juan Gabriel Andrade for his 55g with rose line barb
SECOND PLACE Jen Williams for her 17 gallon with white cloud mountain fish
THIRD PLACE Victor Almeida for his 40 gallon with large rocks and

Class 5 THEMED TANKS

FIRST PLACE Jeff Fredrick for his 10 gallon that looked like a tank and was themed: THE FISH TANK
SECOND PLACE Tammy Hine for her octagonal tank that look like a bird cage and was themed: THERE'S SOMETHING FISHY ABOUT THESE BIRDS
THIRD PLACEShawn Leffler for his tank with theme: EASTERN WARRIORS

Class 6 PLANTED TANKS

FIRST PLACE and AGA AWARD WINNER:Alex Wenchel for his 10 g planted tank with grass carpet and overhanging cryptocoryne and chilli rasboras.
SECOND PLACE Jen Williams for her 17 gallon lazy L planted tank with white cloud mountain fish.
THIRD PLACE Victor Almeida for his 20 gallon long planted tank with neon and rummy nose tetras.

If you have better descriptions of the tanks than my pathetic attempts above, please reply with them. Thanks.

And I want to thank all who participated in this event. We had an outstanding turnout and I know if you participated you actually learned something more about keeping fish and plants and keeping them healthy. It is a lot of work but it really is one of the best focal points of the convention.

As for the PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD, voting was fantastic at 110 votes cast. And it really was a contest. The top vote getters were within 3 votes of each other. SO maybe if you had voted, if you did not, your vote would have changed the results.

As for voting, if there were more than one ID on the blue tape, you could have used any of the IDs to vote with. All ID are connected to the same person, same tank.

Termato

Board of Directors
Thanks Frank! I think it's absolutely worth setting up a tank or two for the aquarium beautiful competition. Not only was it fun, but it gave me a chance to meet a lot of new people while setting up. In the future, I think I'll concentrate on one tank, instead of trying to do so much. I had a lot of fun though. Here are some more details on my entries.

Class 1 NANO TANKS
FIRST PLACE Victor Almeida for his 2.5 gallon hand blown glass bowl with built in filter housing red cherry shrimp, yellow shrimp and plants. (and this is probably the worst picture I've taken of this bowl)
2016-03-07.jpg

Class 6 PLANTED TANKS
Class 2 MEDIUM TANKS

THIRD PLACE Victor Almeida for his 20 gallon long amazon themed planted tank with a mated pair of German blue rams, female apistogramma agazzi double full red, rummynose tetra and cardinal tetras.
2016-03-07.jpg

Class 4 C.A.R.E.S. TANKS
THIRD PLACE Victor Almeida for his 40 gallon with large rocks, sand, driftwood and 8 Lipochromis sp. ‘matumbi hunter’
2016-03-07.jpg

I was mad at myself for not setting up all the rocks in this last tank in the beginning. The last two I added Saturday morning and after that, the hunters wouldn't come out. Before that they were lively and playing. Shame on me! :(

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Here's and update to Shawn's tank.

Class 5 THEMED TANKS

THIRD PLACE Shawn Leffler for his 2.5 gallon Asian themed tank. He used Chinese Terra Cotta Warrior decorations with assassin snails, yellow shrimp, and chili rasboras along with some easy plants. Theme: EASTERN WARRIORS

dogofwar

CCA Members
Really like those warriors!

Matt

Here's and update to Shawn's tank.

Class 5 THEMED TANKS

THIRD PLACE Shawn Leffler for his 2.5 gallon Asian themed tank. He used Chinese Terra Cotta Warrior decorations with assassin snails, yellow shrimp, and chili rasboras along with some easy plants. Theme: EASTERN WARRIORS

Leffler817

CCA Members
Thank you Frank for organizing this event. Also for challenging BOD members to participate as I definitely wouldn't have done with out the kick in the pants. To my surprise, I really enjoyed setting this tank up. I didn't realize how hard it was to get one of Viktor's Sagittaria cf. Subulata plants to stay! The darn thing kept sticking to my wrist after positioning it just right. It made me appreciate the other real planted tanks all that much more.

Really like those warriors!

Matt

Those things were a total impulse/had to have buy from petsmart. I did a project with my third grade classes and we talked about them. A couple days late I spotted them on the clearance rack!?! Of course I bought them. No brainer. They sat in my classroom until it came time to set up the tank. Third graders loved them. I drilled a hole through the pot (on left) for the crypt's roots to grow out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1457487447.564619.jpg

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Thanks to Clelia O'Leary, yes, one of Rachel's daughters, who took pictures of all the AB tanks, we can show them all.

I tried to ID them in the text but it did not work for me. SO I will put 10 pictures in as many replies as needed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
And here is another 10 pictures that Clelia took at the contest. THere are some duplicates but some new ones too.

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg