• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Why do fish jump out from tank

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I have a nano cube tank in my office and today after a week, I got back to work and found my Bristlenose pleco dried out on the carpet. I've had her for almost a year and she was always a happy/active pleco around the tank. The tank has a lid with a tiny hole for feeding the fish. Why do fish do this and why plecos? I've had jumpers before but never a pleco.

The tank is well-established with filtration and lots of healthy plants, I haven't tested the PH or the ammonia level, but I don't think they are high. Beside a little algae build up on the glass, the other tank mates (a couple of Guppies and Cherry Barbs) are doing fine.

IMG_2933.JPG

JLW

CCA Members
In the wild, jumping out generally doesn't result in a fish's death. They wind up in a situation where they can easily get back to water, so there's no reason not to do it. If you're confined to a small area, it may be a pool in a stream or similar, and jumping out can get you into another one. There might be more food, better water conditions, less predators, or even a mate in there... or it could just be a new adventure.

Fish jump for a variety of reasons, not only in the hopes of moving to a new spot. Some fish will jump to chase prey -- a fly, a shadow, anything like that and they leap out. They might miss on the way back. Jumping out can rid them of parasites. It can get them away from a predator or a perceived predator (e.g., the cleaning lady). They may jump because they're startled.

And, they sometimes jump just to keep in practice.

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Joshua, that was helpful.

I'm still wondering if she jumped or climbed/crawled through the hole in the top of the tank lid. It happened to me before in my other tanks at home where I found them behind the matten filter foam sheet. I wasn't sure if they jumped over or crawled through the jetlifter pipe.