• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Why are female Moliwe so fragile?

chriscoli

Administrator
Ok, so I just lost my third female Pelvicachromis taeniatus Moliwe tonight. All three females have suffered the same malady and I've heard rumor that its not uncommon. No other fish in the tank, including the male Moliwe, seem unaffected.

When it happens, the female is in full spawning dress, doing her little shimmy dance for the male. Then, after a few days, I notice that she's still colored up, but in the corner resting on the bottom. A day or so later, she's breathing heavily and not eating. Then it's rapidly downhill. All of the females were fully plumped up as if they were going to lay eggs any minute, but now I'm wondering if that's more due to whatever disease it is.

Anyone else have this happen? I have some young females from the one spawn I got from this pair, so I'll likely put one or two of those in with the male and see if they hit it off, but I'd really like to know what's going on.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sounds like the may be getting egg-bound. I have no idea on treatment.

Hopefully it works out better next time.

chriscoli

Administrator
Sounds like the may be getting egg-bound. I have no idea on treatment.

Hopefully it works out better next time.

Actually....makes a lot of sense. The male I have is...well...difficult to interest. I have read that some folks have gotten so frustrated with non-performing males that they are shocked the species has survived at all.

Which then makes the egg-bound theory quite plausible.

So basically.....it's all his fault!

Seriously, though, I guess trying a different male is a good idea.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Let me know what you find out. Over the years, I've lost dehane, kienke,bandewouri and moliwe females exactly the way you described. Always the female.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Plenipotentiary-at-large
You may already be a winner

Sounds like maybe the females need a harem instead of males.

That's actually quite astute, enough so that I'll forego relating its resemblance to remarks I've heard from a few CCA members. Oops.

Might be worth a try - speaking of the fish that is -- dithers might also help to spark the desired "interest" on the part of a male, just like in - oh nevermind.

Last edited:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Seriously?

Would sort of take all the fun out of it, neh? Possible doesn't mean practical, but assuming one could coax the eggs out without injuring the female, how exactly would one anticipate harvesting/collecting the other essential ingredient?

"Whatcha doing?"

"Playing a movie called Deep Cichlid for my fish."

"Right...And what's with the turkey baster?"

"Don't you have something better to do? I'm a little busy at the moment."

Not sure how it's done on farms but wouldn't surprise me if it's fatal to the males, something I'm personally committed to avoiding in any context. :D

mchambers

Former CCA member
I dunno, Sam, I'm sure there are fishkeepers who would think what you propose would be fun. Not that I'm one of them, mind you. . .

thedavidzoo

Members
I had a pair that never spawned, despite the female's best efforts. She almost always had a ripe belly. The male was never impressed. He eventually died. I finally got another male, also not interested in the female. One day she never came out of a log she occasionally hid in. That was that.
Same situation, I think.

JasonC

Members
Would sort of take all the fun out of it, neh? Possible doesn't mean practical, but assuming one could coax the eggs out without injuring the female, how exactly would one anticipate harvesting/collecting the other essential ingredient?
etc..

Not really talking about fertilizing here... more about saving a female from dying a horrid death from infection caused by an abdomen full of rotting eggs. Just a thought since no one seems to have a solution to being egg bound, but many seem to have fish who die from it. But like I said, dwarfs may be too small to be able to do this to without causing leathal injury.

On the note of "collecting the other essential ingredient", no it does not kill the fish... watch the video I linked to. they are able to express both ingredients, and then fertilize in quantity without harm to the fish... but this is on larger food fish.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Au contrare fishbreath

I dunno, Sam, I'm sure there are fishkeepers who would think what you propose would be fun. Not that I'm one of them, mind you. . .

By no stretch of the imagination was that a "proposal". And no worries, I didn't/don't suspect you of any such vicarious gratifications. Maybe others but not that one....

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Oh the horror

Not really talking about fertilizing here... more about saving a female from dying a horrid death from infection caused by an abdomen full of rotting eggs. Just a thought since no one seems to have a solution to being egg bound, but many seem to have fish who die from it. But like I said, dwarfs may be too small to be able to do this to without causing leathal injury.

On the note of "collecting the other essential ingredient", no it does not kill the fish... watch the video I linked to. they are able to express both ingredients, and then fertilize in quantity without harm to the fish... but this is on larger food fish.

Just (out)gassing mate. Will look at the link.

Have heard that salt can sometimes induce egg release, and as many Pelviachromis are frequently found in brackish water it may well help. For what little I know it may well be where some go to spawn...