• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Whole fish room heater suggestions?

Charlutz

Members
My new fish room is coming together. It's 11.5' x 12.5' with a ceiling a little under 8 feet. I'd like to heat the room rather than using tank heaters. What kind of heaters do you recommend?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
If you're running a dehumidifier for the room they can produce some decent heat. You may not even need a separate room heater if you have a big enough dehumidifier.

Charlutz

Members
Instead of a dehumidifier, I have a vent fan hooked to a humidistat so I need the separate heater. Mike and DQ, does the 1500w oscillating heater have a thermostat? (DQ, PRETEND I WROTE MY QUESTION IN CAPS.) :D

lonlangione

Members
I use an electric convection heater that is attached to the wall close to the floor. It keeps my room evenly heated and no fan. I have an all electric house. I have always been affraid of heaters with fans in them. Fans go bad and sometimes tend to catch fire. These heaters and fan motors are not meant to run 24/7. A friend of mine is a fire fighter and he told me that a lot of the fires he has seen from electric heaters are caused by the fans. Ironically he also told me that can openers left plugged in cause a lot of fires as well. We always unplug all of our kitchen appliance after we are done using them.

Paul Bricknell a friend in Hershey heats his fishroom with one of these
http://www.leolaheating.com/puratron/index.html

If you have natural gas available in your house contact Bev or Dale at www.theamazonbasement.com to get information on their gas wall unit. It works great and I believe it is also convection.

Good Luck, Lonny

mrkillie

Members
Have you used that system or can you tell me anything about it?

I used these (hydrosils) when I was in NY in my fish room and my office (both were in the basement). Very efficient. You gotta spring for the thermostatic controller too. I am also going to add one into my current fishroom, if I can dig it out. Brought it with me in the move to PA.

Joel

maddog10

Members
Instead of a dehumidifier, I have a vent fan hooked to a humidistat so I need the separate heater. Mike and DQ, does the 1500w oscillating heater have a thermostat? (DQ, PRETEND I WROTE MY QUESTION IN CAPS.) :D

Yes, mine actually runs very little as long as I keep the door closed.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I use the standard digital heaters that you buy at home depo. I have a couple in the room so one is not over taxed. I do have to replace one ever few years but they are inexpensive and easy to find.

I also have the dehumidifier in there and that throws heat when it comes on. Which is not much in the winter.
room4.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
I use one the radiator looking heated oil electrical heaters from home depot to heat the room.

I also heat a couple of the big tanks individually, which I think keeps the room warm.