• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

white worms in tank

D-money

Members
As the title states, i noticed a dozen or so white segmented worms about 1/4" long, some on the glass while other were floating in the water column. Yuck! Any thoughts on what they are or how to get rid of them. Are they parasitic? help.

worms

Planaria are flatworms and members of the Platyhelminthes phylum.

Planaria are often found in aquariums with uneaten food. The planaria won't hurt the fish, but they are a symptom of too much gravel containing too much uneaten food, and that is not good for fish. They require a food source, which means there must be excess food wastes in the tank to support them.

If examined closely have eyespots as well as protrusions from the sides of their heads. Although they do not harm fish, they love to feast on eggs, and therefore are dangerous if breeding egglaying fish.

A clean tank is the best defense against becoming overrun with Planaria.

Free-living, non parasitic flatworms are common in lakes, streams, ponds, and other freshwater habitats. Planaria, usually dark brown, greenish, or tan, are found in shallow water underneath submerged rocks or vegetation. They can glide over the surface of objects and are sometimes upside-down on the underside of water surface film. The body of Planaria is non-segmented and bilaterally symmetrical. The head is triangular shaped and contains two eyespots that detect light. Worms can shorten and change shape using muscle cells whose contractions are controlled by a primitive nervous system. Asexual reproduction allows a new head and tail ends to form by a process of tissue regeneration. Sexual reproduction is also possible after worms exchange sperm; worms are hermaphroditic. After internal fertilization, numerous zygotes are deposited into a small, dark capsule, called a cocoon, which is about 1 mm in diameter. The cocoon is attached to submerged rocks or plants and, after further development, small worms emerge from an opening in the cocoon. There is no larval form.

Sonny Disposition

I'm not sure what those are. I have them, too. They swim with a spiral motion.

I mostly notice them in well vegetated tanks. The baby praecox rainbows would avoid them, and I would remove them with a turkey baster when they showed up. I think I read on another post that they're covered with tiny barbs and hooks, so fish tend not to eat them.

mab

Members
Planaria are easy enough to kill and the treatment won't kill shrimp or fish. Use dog dewormer (Fenbendazole). Just google how to use - there are postings on monsterfishkeepers, aquariacentral, etc.

I use this treatment to rid wild cories of worms and have used it on Rainbows.

It's most likely naididae (oligochaeta) if they swim in spiral motion.
Most fish generally avoid eating them. I have successfully eradicated them using Potassium permanganate. I found that they eat decayed vegie matters by observation under microscope. After several testings, I found they generally died after 15mins in 5% wt/vol KMnO4.

Look me up in ACA convention, I can give you the load down on my testing results and treatment methods. I have even tried to culture them as fish food.

Here are a few microscope pics.

Head is on the upper left corner.
25033_1247373263551_1206021231_30586368_5856809_n.jpg

Head is on the upper right corner.
25033_1247373343553_1206021231_30586370_4485635_n.jpg

Closeup on the head.
26271_1249286151372_1206021231_30590064_316768_n.jpg