• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

where to order shipping bags for full grown large oscar

pirros

CCA Members
Hello, I am looking for an advice where to order/buy very large shipping bags for full grown oscar, 3 or 4 mm thick. Larger I found 12*24 in. It is long-finned oscar, and his length with the tail is 12 in. Maybe for an arovana shipping? The fish will possible fly in the laggage ~10 hours in the bag/box. Thank you.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
You may want to check with a local fish store. They may be able to give/sell you a styro box with a box bag. That's the only way i would consider shipping a 12" fish.

Becca

Members
I might have the worlds largest breather bag hanging around the fish room. You can order very large breather bags, not that a breather does any good if the fish is boxed up in airtight styrofoam.

It's more than just the bag - you'll want oxygen instead of plain old air in the bag for a trip that long and it's still pretty risky.

pirros

CCA Members
You may want to check with a local fish store. They may be able to give/sell you a styro box with a box bag. That's the only way i would consider shipping a 12" fish.
I already tried to do that. one stores owner said that he can not help me with it. The second store agreed to help me to pack the fish with oxygen, but offers too small styrofoam box. I also feel like I already annoyed them ( with questions about oxygen, heating pads, etc....).

pirros

CCA Members
I might have the worlds largest breather bag hanging around the fish room. You can order very large breather bags, not that a breather does any good if the fish is boxed up in airtight styrofoam.

It's more than just the bag - you'll want oxygen instead of plain old air in the bag for a trip that long and it's still pretty risky.

Thank you!
I did research on shipping, including writing to a director of Moscow Zoo aquarium. He and an airport cargo employee explained me a step by step process and sent detailed instructions. The local fish store will pack fish for me with oxygen ( they confirmed that it is pure oxygen). But it offers kind of too small styrofoam box. I know it is risky. I am actually looking for a possible new owner for the fish ( it's my preference), but getting ready to take it on the plane if I can not re-home it.

What is a difference between regular and breather bag? If it's filled with pure oxygen, oxygen won't leak trough it? I saw them online, it shown on the picture like O2 goes in, CO2 goes out. Plus, the director of Aquarium recommended a regular fish shipping bag with water and oxygen. No airline would allowed a fish in cabin.

Maybe you can tell me where exactly to order larger bags. I was looking online for a while, couldn't find it. Thank you!

Becca

Members
Oxygen goes with a regular bag. A breather bag is useless in a styro, unless the styro is much larger than the bag.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I wouldn't use a breather bag with a large fish like an oscar. It will poke a hole in in it on the way. It will also weigh a ton to ship a giant breather bag full of water. I've used smaller breather bags in styros - just wrap them in newspaper (or a shirt or whatever).

Large bag with oxygen is the way to go. At least double bag it. To overnight it will cost quite a bit. Honestly, I'd find someone local to take it.

Matt

JLW

CCA Members
I'm with Matt, I can't imagine trying to ship a fully grown oscar.
And, respectfully... it's an oscar. I could understand doing this for a rare, unusual fish, but oscars are easily had. Replacing him isn't an issue -- and I'd much rather replace the fish because I gave it away before moving than because I tortured it to death attempting to ship or carry it.

pirros

CCA Members
Again, I am looking for a new owner for the fish for like 3-4 weeks. No luck so far. The back up plan is not, actually, shipping but flying in luggage on the same plane with me. Anyone can give me an advise where to order 3-4 mm bag large enough?