• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

When to start outdoor container ponds?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I use sponge filters. Less to go wrong and surface agitation helps keep mosquitoes out and keeps it oxygenated and cooler in the hot sun.

These tubs are 30 gallons, so one 4 inch poret sponge each probably isn’t big enough, right?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I do not use any filtration in my wadding pool ponds, not that they would not be a benefit. . They are shallow and do not really need filtration. The down sides are they are shallow and heat up and cool down quickly with the weather. And you cannot keep 3 inch or larger fish in them as the raccoons will just stay in the pool until they catch them all. They do not bother smaller fish.

BTW, I checked and found daphnia in all the ponds I put them in in mid April. So the daphnia survived the cold water I put them in.

FishEggs

I only had one in my tub last summer. Seemed to do just fine. I guess some of it depends on how much air flow you have through it but i think you will be fine with just one per tub.

FishEggs

Here is mine last summer. Its a 30g tub.
20170830_173913.jpg
I actually left everything over winter in place to see what would happen. It felt like it froze solid at one point. I pulled what was left out a few weeks ago and found that the hornwort i had survived. There were little clams throughout all the dead ludwigia stems. And a lot of black muck on the bottom from all the leaves that blew into it.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I hope to get my stock tank started this weekend. Fish usually go in Memorial Day weekend (gives me an extra day to futz around).

Blaise