• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

When to start outdoor container ponds?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I want to start moving some of my fish outside for the summer and wondered when everyone else starts moving them. I plan to make one of the containers a DIY filter and have it heated to some degree, so I doubt I need to worry too much above 50 or so degrees. Thoughts?

zendog

I already have some Goodeids out in a tub. But for most of the fish we keep, I'd wait at least a few weeks.

But it is a good idea to get the tubs running with something like water lettuce or other plants to get them established.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Location is the key. If you put a tub in full sun, now is about the right time. In the summer however full sun will heat up the tub and the fish will not survive. You can start in full sun if later you construct shade so in the summer the tub only get a couple hours or less of full sun.
I already put out a couple wadding pools and seeded daphnia in them but after a week only one has any daphnia I can find. When the water temperature hits 65 I will probably put out some fish, not sure what. Hornwort is already growing in a couple of the ponds.

Carolineep

CCA Members
I wait until it is above 50 degrees at least a week. The weather is zonkers this year. Last year at this time I had my Africans outside already.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Shade is probably the least expensive way. Under a good tree. On the north side of a building. I actually like to put the small wading pools in places with no direct sun. Where there is some sun on the pool, I provide shade with Luan which comes in 8ft by 4 ft sheets like plywood, cut to whatever size I want and lay it on top of the pool. You could of course build a high roof over the tub.

Another way to go is to provide lots of plants that grow above the water surface, which is another way to provide shade. Floating plants can do this too, but watch the temperature.

One other way to go is to dig an in-ground pond that is a foot or more deep so the heat from the sun will not overheat the pond.

Cooling with a fountain or other water feature is good, but if the tub is in direct sun the water will likely turn green and stay that way. Green water is great for fish and inverts. It is just not good for people wanting to see fish move in the water.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I was planning on buying tubs that are about 20 gallons each and connecting them with bulkheads, using a 4th container as a sump/filter with my super overpowered pump running at 10% to keep water flow at a reasonable level. I have plans to put the electronics inside of a plastic bucket or Rubbermaid to avoid water damage.

I thought about doing a kiddie pool, but thought that predators might take a crack at it and my dog loves the water, so this was not my first choice. I do have space on my deck where the containers would get about 2-3 hours of direct sun, but the house would block part of the containers, so I don’t think they will overheat unless it is very hot out.

My question is, what do you do on those 100 degree days when it doesn’t get below 70 at night? How do you keep everything cool enough? Do I have to bring all the fish inside?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
The answer is not great. Once your pond is set up all you can do is make sure there is no direct sunlight hitting you pond or tub or pool particularly when the daily and nightly temperatures are consistently high. Add more or darker shade in hot weather. Evaporation will cool the pond so you have to make sure to add water as needed and this can be cool water. If the water temperature gets above 90 or higher, you can do water changes with cool water or you can put a bag of ice cubes in a plastic bag (or no bag) in the water.
The smaller the system the more likely it is to heat and cool with the weather. So larger systems are more stable.
If the weather stays really hot and the tub it too hot, you might consider letting a stream of cold water from a hose flow through the tub and overflow in a manner that will not encourage te fish to go out with the overflow. If it is a small stream, the chlorine probably is not a concern, but you could add some declor to the pond.

mchambers

Former CCA member
My fish (Diamond tetras, Ameca splendens, and Corydoras gossei) did fine in a 30 gallon tub three years ago, even during the hot periods. Keep the water well oxygenated and moving.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I plan on putting one of my Corydoras Duplicareus breeding groups, my Apistogramma Baenschi growouts, and some pleco growouts in the tubs. The plecos are really the only ones I worry about, so I may just add the albinos and see how they do, as they are less desirable than my red marbles.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I appreciate the help. Keep the suggestions coming and I’ll keep everyone posted on my progress.

HootinHoller

CCA Members
Thanks for starting this Cory, and thanks for your usual helpfulness Frank.

I'm setting up 2-110G tubs today but haven't decided on what fish yet. I wasn't very successful last year with one 40G, 5 zebra danios in, 6 came out LOL.

Do people breed cichlids outdoors? I might try some apistos... Good idea?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Well, I found 4 X 30 (ish) gallon food safe bins at a local farm for free. They look to be a nice size to use. They originally contain food for the cows. I plan to set this up sometime this week when the weather is nice. I'll take some pictures during set up.

Becca

Members
I've never had any issues in small tubs set out over the summer, even when they did get some direct sunlight during the day. This year I've set them all in the back yard, so they'll get a little more shade than usual.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
So the next question is whether to use a sump-style filter or whether to just run 4 sponge filters (one in each) and have the tubs connected. Thoughts?