• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

When are you adding fish to your outdoor tubs this year?

JLW

CCA Members
That’s what I figured too since they’re not in contact with any natural bodies of water.
Don't discount the possibility of some parasites being spread by birds and what not, but, for the most part, that kind of stuff needs an intermediate host of some sort (typically the bird). Unless you have a pet duck, its not likely to spread.

For me, I also feel like the sick fish would have been weaned out of the population outside quickly. :)

Becca

Members
I'm cautious, in particular, about the ones in the in-ground pond. They get a lot of runoff. The tubs don't worry me as much, but they are under trees.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
Went out to check on my water lily and lotuses today only to find mosquito larvae. I’m a little surprised that I have them already, but free food! Some Apistos currently have very full bellies.

JLW

CCA Members
I've been harvesting mosquito larvae for weeks -- it actually prompted me to put fish in the pond (cold hardy stuff). The spring salamanders that overwintered haven't been doing their jobs.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
I've been harvesting mosquito larvae for weeks -- it actually prompted me to put fish in the pond (cold hardy stuff). The spring salamanders that overwintered haven't been doing their jobs.
Do you think White Clouds would be okay outside for the next month? While I'm being diligent about harvesting the larvae, I also want to keep my neighbors happy with me.

FishEggs

Do you think White Clouds would be okay outside for the next month? While I'm being diligent about harvesting the larvae, I also want to keep my neighbors happy with me.
i had some over winter in my pond. They should be fine outside right now.

JLW

CCA Members
My thoughts on mosquito larvae harvesting is that you have to be able to get 100% of them, or you're just farming mosquitos, not larvae. Anything that holds water has to be completely mosquito free here. If it gets larvae, I either want to get ALL of them before they evolve into their flying form, or I'm dumping it out and eradicating them.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
My thoughts on mosquito larvae harvesting is that you have to be able to get 100% of them, or you're just farming mosquitos, not larvae. Anything that holds water has to be completely mosquito free here. If it gets larvae, I either want to get ALL of them before they evolve into their flying form, or I'm dumping it out and eradicating them.
I tend to agree with you on this. Mostly because there's no way I can possibly net out all of the larvae.

Becca

Members
I've had white clouds out since last year, plus some rosy reds. I also put my Okefenokee sunfish out a few weeks ago, endlers (as food for when I put the dwarf pikes out), and a pair of pygmy sunfish. I'm starting to think I'll never get the fish I actually want to breed out to the tubs because this weather is bonkers.