• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

When are you adding fish to your outdoor tubs this year?

IndianaSam

CCA Members
Hi all,

I picked up a 110 gallon feed trough for some outdoor tubbing fun this summer. I'm still deciding what to add, but I think that White Clouds and Celestial Pearl Danios are definitely going to be in there. I've got an Amazon Sword in a large pot inside the tub about 4 inches from the surface and a few handfuls of guppy grass floating at this point. I'll be adding a hardy water lily and probably some water lettuce in the next week or so. I really regret having not pulled the trigger on ordering plans from JLW JLW

So, when would you be comfortable adding fish? Judging from the (tens of?) thousands of mosquito larvae that I've netted off to feed my indoor fish in past few days, I should do it soon or my back yard will be swarming with blood suckers.

Thanks,
Sam

Becca

Members
Hi all,

I picked up a 110 gallon feed trough for some outdoor tubbing fun this summer. I'm still deciding what to add, but I think that White Clouds and Celestial Pearl Danios are definitely going to be in there. I've got an Amazon Sword in a large pot inside the tub about 4 inches from the surface and a few handfuls of guppy grass floating at this point. I'll be adding a hardy water lily and probably some water lettuce in the next week or so. I really regret having not pulled the trigger on ordering plans from JLW JLW

So, when would you be comfortable adding fish? Judging from the (tens of?) thousands of mosquito larvae that I've netted off to feed my indoor fish in past few days, I should do it soon or my back yard will be swarming with blood suckers.

Thanks,
Sam

It depends on the fish. I try to wait until night temperatures are staying above 60 unless it's something like white clouds (can take lower temps) or something that really needs warm temps. I might start putting some things out this week, maybe.

FishEggs

I was thinking this week might be good too. Temps are supposed to stay above 60 over nights. Cleaned up the pond and got it ready this past weekend. Of course you could put a heater in it to get them out earlier in the year and lengthen how long you can keep them outside in the fall.
I've had endler's livebearers outside in overnight temps down to the 50s and they did just fine.
Putting an air stone or water fountain in it to agitate the water surface helps prevent the mosquitos from populating the tub. But then you dont get the live food for indoor fish.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
It looks like the low temperatures are going to dip into the 50s early next week so I may just hold off another week to add fish. Until then, I'll just keep harvesting mosquito larvae. They're absolutely relished by my fish! Also, this will give me the weekend to finalize the plants.

Additionally, I can't believe that I referred to the tub as a "food trough" when it's obviously a water trough. My family back in Indiana would be ashamed...

Freakgecko

Members
Hi all,

Thanks,
Sam

My wife says there’s a firm “no fish outside” policy at our house 😭

FishEggs

It looks like the low temperatures are going to dip into the 50s early next week so I may just hold off another week to add fish. Until then, I'll just keep harvesting mosquito larvae. They're absolutely relished by my fish! Also, this will give me the weekend to finalize the plants.

Additionally, I can't believe that I referred to the tub as a "food trough" when it's obviously a water trough. My family back in Indiana would be ashamed...
These darn temps are annoying this year. I think I'm just gonna do a heater for a bit and get the fish out. I'll at least put the whiteclouds out.
You're not wrong. You're currently scooping fish food out of it so right now it is a food trough. Just all in how you use it. ;)

IndianaSam

CCA Members
As an aside, any recommendations for places to buy pond plants? I'd prefer something close, like in the Rockville area, but I could go farther. Gonna get this all taken care of by tomorrow. Thanks!

Becca

Members
I got some of my pond plants from http://www.marylandaquatic.com/man/index.html .
They have a good variety and can be a bit pricey. But they're high quality and I like using their floating island setups for my ponds.

Lilypons might be closer for you IndianaSam IndianaSam .

If you do go out to MD aquatic nurseries, let me know. I'd really like one of their floating wetlands/floating island things but it's not a drive I'll be able to make in the near future.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
Lilypons might be closer for you IndianaSam IndianaSam .

If you do go out to MD aquatic nurseries, let me know. I'd really like one of their floating wetlands/floating island things but it's not a drive I'll be able to make in the near future.
I ended up going to lilypons for the lily and a local place for the Cardinal plant.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
Seeing some emergent grown from my Amazon Sword. I’m interested in how this is going to do as the summer progresses. E113CFC8-F157-4E5D-BC3F-1E078816AB03.jpeg

JLW

CCA Members
Around early September, we usually get our first few cold days (heck, its going down to the 60s already). But, if your fish will weather it, we usually get a couple more warm days after that in mid September, sometimes into October.

I am tempted to break mine down this weekend because I've got time, and its fairly small... I've also got some very rare fish in there that I don't want to chance.... but I'm also debating putting a couple of heaters in there, and just letting them ride for another month.

So, really, it depends on the size of the pond, and the temperature of the water -- if you start dipping below 70 for more than a night, I'd pull them.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
FYI word on the street is MAN is closing Not reopening . I'm not sure of time line but its a good time to get those things you need before there no longer availble.
second hand knowledge from a employee.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Around early September, we usually get our first few cold days (heck, its going down to the 60s already). But, if your fish will weather it, we usually get a couple more warm days after that in mid September, sometimes into October.

I am tempted to break mine down this weekend because I've got time, and its fairly small... I've also got some very rare fish in there that I don't want to chance.... but I'm also debating putting a couple of heaters in there, and just letting them ride for another month.

So, really, it depends on the size of the pond, and the temperature of the water -- if you start dipping below 70 for more than a night, I'd pull them.

Josh I'm thinking I will need to quarantine what ever I bring in correct?

IndianaSam

CCA Members
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I’m going to bring them inside this weekend. I have some cooler water fish that I think will be okay for a while longer mixed with more classically tropical fish so I’ll empty the whole thing.

Or maybe I’ll net everything out, grab the tropical fish and put the cool water fish back in. Decisions, decisions!

JLW

CCA Members
I don't bother quarantining fish from my tubs. They're unlikely to harbour anything significant.