• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

When are air stones needed?

Scorp1us

Members
I the biggest noise from my tanks are from my air pumps. I'd like to eliminate them both as sound and power drain.

I have a 30 with a HOB that I am confident that I can remove the air from, but I have a 10 with an in-tank filter and a 120 with dual canister filters. I'm wondering how I can tell if i need air.

Back when I was a kid, my dad used filters that used air stones to power a convection filter, so it never was an issue. Now I'm on my own but I don't want o come home or to work to dead fish... especially my demasoni tank.

verbal

CCA Members
Assuming your canister filters are big enough, I think your 120 should be fine. With the 10 gallon make sure the internal filter does not get clogged.

One option might be to put your air pump on a timer so it runs when you are not home. Hopefully if there is an issue with oxygen levels when you are home you will notice it.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Though I don't have them on all tanks in the house, I like the idea of having sponges as insurance in case a power filter stops running.

mdlnewman

Members
I agree. Can't stand the noise from air based filters. The only one you might need to worry about is the 10 I would think. Can you make the filter output disturb the surface? If so you are good there. Just make sure they all have movement on the surface to xfer oxygen.

Scorp1us

Members
Well I left he air off last night. The 30 and the 10 are doing fine (out put bar is just below the surface.)

The 120 however, the fish were behaving oddly. Normally they are all about eating... but they were not interested this morning. I had 2 of the largest acai hanging out at the bottom of the tank... and no feeding frenzy. I think I need to raise the output bars for more surface perturbation.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Exactly. Moving them higher won't hurt, but probably isn't necessary. You just need to get the surface of the water moving.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I prefer to have an air driven filter in all of my tanks. I find that it helps with keeping the "film" off the top of the water as well as adding oxygenation.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
The only tanks I ever have film issues with are those that are exclusively air-driven. Anything with an HOB or canister has more than enough surface agitation to break up the proteins and it's only with sponge filters in for instance 20Ls that I ever have a problem. Of course one can boost the air flow but that creates it's own set of issues. Do like having a air/sponge filter as a back-up if something else fails but one still needs power to make it go.

Scorp1us

Members
Well a night of being back on the bubbles has everyone back to normal. I'll try rotating the bars tonight.