• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What's in the diet that causes spawning?

captmicha

Members
BESIDES all the other factors that help to induce spawning, what do you guys think it is about live food cultures that helps to induce it? I'm thinking it may be the high protein and high fat.

Has anyone been able to spawn any more difficult species JUST on Repashy's spawn formula?

What other live foods, besides worms, have you noticed to induce spawning?

chriscoli

Administrator
I agree with Andrew, but I also think the extra calories help. Worms, especially, seem pretty nutrient-dense to me, but I haven't done a side-by side comparison of the nutrition facts of worms vs. repashy vs. flake/pellet food.

It seems like there are a lot of breeders that swear by earthworm flakes over other kinds of flakes.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think that the extra protein in live worms - red wigglers are like 70-75% protein - really conditions females. Also great for helping female Nimbochromis and the like recover after spawning and holding.

Remember that the nutrient-dense and regular feedings of fish in captivity allow fish to spawn much more frequently than they could in nature.

Matt

Greengirl

Members
I've noticed my difficult pair angels will get into the spawning mood after I do a large water change. The drop in temp of the new water coming in always excites them to clean, and if the female is actually ready, she will start laying eggs if she has them.