• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What's happening at Aquafest

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I had a great time this weekend at the event. As always, it was a blast hanging with my fish family for a couple of days. My highlight for the weekend was definitely Rachel's talk on Saturday afternoon. She kicked a$$ as expected! It was a packed house with standing room only in the back!

Congrats also go out to David Sombach for winning the Aquarium Beautiful Contest. His tank got my vote for sure!

Unfortunately I had to miss out on the auction on Sunday, but heard that there were over 700 items! Hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Thanks Jon! Tony gave me such a nice intro, I had to bring it!

It was a good time! I really enjoyed myself and was glad to be there. Looking forward to Aquamania- The Big Fish Deal in the spring!

JasonC

Members
Had a good time hanging with everyone.

Oh and my sellers report looks right. strange?

out of curiosity, did your report list you as a member or junior member? Mine said no for each... wonder what the "members" list was generated off of?

Better get that checked out because if it doesn't treat you as a member than they probably are going to hold a higher percentage of your sales. This might be an issue the board will need to work through with PVAS, to ensure members of all three clubs get "member" percentage.

Overall the auction had an amazing selection of stuff, the auctioneers did a great job moving things along with all the items and I think folks that stayed to the end got a lot of amazing deals. I picked up several bags of juvenile Victorians that I am really looking forward to growing out. The auction started at about 10:20 and wasn't over until almost 7pm.

Only real negative I have noticed is that there were several items I placed in the tag sale that were not there at the end that I didn't receive credit for a sale which makes me think that some of my items took a walk between the corral and the sales desk. (And yes I was there when they disclosed they were about to take all tag items and place them in the auction and I removed all of my items at that time.)

chris_todd

Members
My sellers report indicates I am a member (I am a CCA and GWAPA members, but not PVAS), and it took 25% commission, so that seems correct, but one of the items I had in the tag sale is listed as not having sold ($0), when I know it sold at 50% of the original listing price, because I was there when the buyer checked out (they got a steal - a 40 breeder, 50 breeder, glass tops for both and a 2x4 stand for $37.50, but hey, I needed them gone).

I wonder if they are not yet finished entering all the data?

Who should we contact with such questions?

And like Rob said, it was a great auction with lots of deals, though quite a number of items went for good prices for the sellers as well. Kudos to all the auction staff for another smooth auction, despite the ginormous number of lots!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Weird. My seller's report doesn't have me as a member (I assume CCA doesn't count), which isn't a big deal, but it shows the 50% commission, which wasn't the deal.

Having said that, PVAS always does a great job with these massive auctions, so I assume the commission issue will be fixed quickly.

As this is my first post on this site I would like to start off by thanking all three clubs for making this event possible. This was also my first ever Convention of this sort for the aquatic hobby. Kodos to all the speakers Gary Lange, Rachel, Rhonda, and Dave. Great job!!! Thanks for capturing this A.D.D brain and holding my attention. I ended up grabbing a pair of electric blue rams on Sat. night for $20 from Frank. Up here in Jersey they are $25 a fish. I also picked up a bag of Apisto Cacautoides at the auction.
Matt, I took a further look on the computer about the Man that traveled to all 201 countries..Graham Hughes.... I now do not see the resemblance... Well maybe in one picture but thats all Ill give you!! Who ever missed this truely missed out IMO.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I had a great time as well. I got there a bit late, but thoroughly enjoyed Rachel's talk as well as the Iron Aquascaping competition. I only picked up a few things on Sunday, but they were certainly great items... a mat of hair grass, some green dragon plecos, one of those gravel vac thingies (always been curious) and best of all, one of the two Iron Aquascaped tanks. I drove straight from Dulles to my office in Bethesda and set it up. :)

1394082_10200883883486648_936034154_n.jpg

Greengirl

Members
Does PVAS always take 50% of my sales at the auction? I only get to make $30 on my $60 auction for my angels? That seems like a lot.

Alexandra,

You will likely need to look through your list for a couple things. Does your report show you as a member? That has an effect.

Second is according to their rules anything that sold that was $2 or less, they keep so any items you had sell at $2 would in effect be a donation. That being said, here is the rule on their website regarding %: Even if you weren't a member it should have been a 70% return, not 50%.

"PVAS members will receive a commission of 75% of the final selling price; Non-PVAS members receive a commission of 70% of the final selling price. No commission will be paid on an item that sells for $2 or less. PVAS Junior members age 17 and under receive a 100% commission. All junior members must have their own login and password in the mygroupauctions system!"

Tony committed highway robbery with that tank folks....probably the best deal of the entire auction. I think my two biggest highlight buys was the three bags of Tahitian Moon Sand for $25, the pond heater for $7, or the return on my raffle ticket buys. I got 14lbs of flake food for $30 in raffle tickets.

verbal

CCA Members
I have exchanged a couple of emails about the auction reports with Sherry. After every PVAS auction, they do a full audit of the auction. It is not unusual for there to be missing items before this happens. The reports you are currently seeing are before the audit has been performed. I have informed her of the non-member split being incorrect.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks Jesse!

Matt

I have exchanged a couple of emails about the auction reports with Sherry. After every PVAS auction, they do a full audit of the auction. It is not unusual for there to be missing items before this happens. The reports you are currently seeing are before the audit has been performed. I have informed her of the non-member split being incorrect.

Greengirl

Members

Thank you for letting me know.

JasonC

Members
Thanks Jesse,

By any chance did she comment on the 75/25 split being extended only to PVAS members rather than members of any of the 3 clubs?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I had a great time as well. I got there a bit late, but thoroughly enjoyed Rachel's talk as well as the Iron Aquascaping competition. I only picked up a few things on Sunday, but they were certainly great items... a mat of hair grass, some green dragon plecos, one of those gravel vac thingies (always been curious) and best of all, one of the two Iron Aquascaped tanks. I drove straight from Dulles to my office in Bethesda and set it up. :)

1394082_10200883883486648_936034154_n.jpg

Nice