• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What size

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
If you had the money (and permission) what size tank would you want in your house.
This is your dream tank but it must be in your current house.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
When you limit the tank to our current house, are you doing so with size in mind or weight? I have the space for my dream tank, but if I set it up, I would come home to find it in my downstairs neighbor's condo.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
limited to my current house 1,800g 15'x4x'4'

When/if I buy another house I'll purposely be looking for one that could fit 5,500g 20'x6'x'6'. But that's at least 6yrs away. Being able to build that tank will be one of the deciding factors in deciding to move. If I decide to never move I'd redo my basement to build the 1.8k, but I really don't want to spend the rest of my life in this house. It wasn't purchased to be the end game house, but you never know what's going to happen.

chris_todd

Members
Seal up the windows and doors and I would flood my basement :p

Dangit, that was my first thought, too!

When we were at That Fish Place for the ACLC meeting this weekend, we saw a 700 gallon tank they were auctioning, and my wife commented that you'd need to scuba dive in it to aquascape it. I thought "That would be cool!" :lol:

Realistically, though, the biggest tank I could get down my basement stairs would be a 180g. Love to have one of those.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I was thinking of building it myslef but now that you mention basement stairs I can't fit glass or plastic wider than 36" down the stairs. Anyone who's been to my house and banged their head on the ceiling going down the steps knows what I'm talking about. When I put up a wall I had to cut 12" off the drywall to get it down there, that really sucked. That takes me down to 1,350g 15'x4'x3'.

minifoot77

Members
i think my current set up will max out my apartment but i would give up a rack for a 220 but i don't think i would want to bring it up the stairs....

Chris that 700 was bad, I laid eyes on that and started looking for a price tag lol. Current house tank, I know you said tank but (3) 300-500 gallons. If my son moves Id have the room

lonlangione

Members
My dream tank would be 12'L x 3'D x 5'H. It would sit on the floor. I think I would fill it with tetras, cory cats, plecos and some dwarf SA cichlids.

mrkillie

Members
I couldn't get anything that is bigger than 30" in all of the dimensions in the house (unless I put it in the garage-hmmm). So I guess somewhere around 250 gallons. That is the plan, eventually, when Ashley grows a bit and doesn't need her "play area" anymore. Then the stingrays come in!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
700 GALLON???
Its a good thing I did not see that tank up there.
I have the perfect place for it. Hmm who needs that kitchen anyway. I could have put it right against the wall where the sink goes. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I would build something approximately 10' long by 3' wide by 4' tall out of plywood. I guess that's about 900 gallolons.

Giant rocks throughout with a long stretch of sand in the middle. I'd stock with a bunch of mbuna to dwell around the rocks with some big haps to cruise around.

I tell ya, plywood tanks are the way to go if you know what you want and can keep it in the same place for a while.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I'd like to have at least a 220. Anything bigger would be nice, but thats almost double the largest tank I currently have. It seems like anything bigger than that is usually custom.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
My tank is 6' x 3' x 2' (260 -270 gal.). I'm not sure I would want anything bigger.

Lonny, your tank sounds do-able but I think you would be happier if it were two feet off the floor.

George