• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What power powerhead?

captmicha

Members
65 tall. I have pool filter sand as the substrate. It's planted, directly in the sand. Hides available too.

So that's my specs. I'm wondering how much power should I get for in tank power heads to create a current over the substrate to push all that common plecos mulm towards my filter intake?

I have two and they're not to big for this tank yet, so this is pretty much their grow out tank. But it's hard to keep up with their mess if I have to clean the substrate every day.

I'd have to go get and run a hose for cleaning, and then go and get and run another house that I have to hook up to the faucet. Then drain them out and put them back away.

It's a lot for me, personally, to do more than twice a week.

I have a battery gravel vac, Eheim, but these things are so weak, it's pretty much wireless. And it's constantly breaking down.

Lowering the filter intake to the bottom of the tank doesn't get the substrate cleaned enough. Which is why I want the power heads to get it all in the intake's reach.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Assuming it's a 36" long by 18" wide, or about the same footprint as a 40 breeder, I'd guess you'd want about 200-240 gph flow. The trick is going to be getting enough flow without turning your tank into a maelstrom. Ideally, the powerhead could have adjustable flow, but I don't know if that is possible. You also might want to think about whether you want the output to rotate, to make sure all the bottom is getting swept by the flow.

I should that I'm no expert on powerheads. I've got a small one running on a 30 gallon, but that's it. I've got a couple of Cobalt MJ-900s sitting in a box on a shelf. I use them from time to time for short term issues. I'd be happy to bring one to the next meeting, if you want to give it a try.

captmicha

Members
Assuming it's a 36" long by 18" wide, or about the same footprint as a 40 breeder, I'd guess you'd want about 200-240 gph flow. The trick is going to be getting enough flow without turning your tank into a maelstrom. Ideally, the powerhead could have adjustable flow, but I don't know if that is possible. You also might want to think about whether you want the output to rotate, to make sure all the bottom is getting swept by the flow.

I should that I'm no expert on powerheads. I've got a small one running on a 30 gallon, but that's it. I've got a couple of Cobalt MJ-900s sitting in a box on a shelf. I use them from time to time for short term issues. I'd be happy to bring one to the next meeting, if you want to give it a try.
That would be amazing! Thank you!