• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What is the difference between "Smokey" and "Blue Smokey" Angelfish?

TysenP

CCA Members
I recently finished cycling my first aquarium, and my centerpiece fish is a juvenile smokey angelfish that I found alone in the petsmart angelfish enclosure. The sign said "Koi angelfish" but after searching online, I'm nearly positive it's a smokey.

One thing I've noticed is that some breeds are called "Blue Smokey", while others are just called "Smokey". When looking up smokey angelfish, almost all of the adults were silvery colored with the typical smokey rear. When looking up "Blue Smokey" angelfish, the babies were silver but the adults had a wonderful blue color.

Are there any differences between these fish? Would there be any other way to tell the difference between the two besides just waiting until it's an adult to see if it turns blue? Is there even a blue gene/locus or is there something different that differentiates them?

lock jaw

CCA Members
I don't know much about angelfish but the best way to know for sure is to buy from a reputable vendor online or from a local breeder that way you can see what the parents look like and judge if that's what you want.

I do have a friend that breeds and sells angelfish. You can call or text him. Purush # (972)-904-0574