• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What are your pet peeves about aquarium 'scaping?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Aquarium aesthetics?! What pointless drivel...

Wow you guys are silly. I really could care less about how someone else has their tank setup.

And the prize for petty and judgmental goes to the fellow with peeves about people with peeves.

Someone has preferences and that makes them silly? And you "really could care less" but enough to denigrate everyone who posted on the thread? Good luck with that.

Reckon not everyone keeps bare tanks in rooms with unpainted walls and dirt floors. Go figure.

neut

Members
And the prize for petty and judgmental goes to the fellow with peeves about people with peeves.

Someone has preferences and that makes them silly? And you "really could care less" but enough to denigrate everyone who posted on the thread? Good luck with that.

Reckon not everyone keeps bare tanks in rooms with unpainted walls and dirt floors. Go figure.
:D

In the cosmic scheme of things, how much do I really care what someone else does with their tank? Doesn't move the needle, if I can't see it from my house I couldn't care less. Do I have opinions regarding what I like and what I don't? Heck, yeah, though 99% of the time I keep them to myself. Silly to air them out in the context of doing so simply for amusement, where divergent opinions are expected and part of the amusement, where no one is taking it too seriously (almost no one) and no offense need be taken? Shrug. :cool:

OK, not everyone's cup of tea, but there's masses and masses of worse things on the net, silly and otherwise.

dogofwar

CCA Members
As someone who knowingly and willfully (and gleefully) keeps tanks that conform to at least 91% of peeves expressed on this thread (including one with hot pink gravel and another with a rubber "anemone" and Roman - Greek? - columns), I, of course, agree with Zach completely ;)

Of course I could assemble a peeve-free tank...but they're MY tanks...in MY fishroom...and that's kind of Zach's point, I think.

Matt

Some of us were having a bit of fun. If you didn't think it was fun, you didn't need to contribute.

And if you quickly scan how many threads lately have five pages of comments, you'll find that outside of the NBA finals (highly related to fishkeeping) the only other topic of late garnering that level of input is Zackcrack's much discussed future mbuna tank. So perhaps it begs the question: what is the point of the forum?

My fiance saw the bubble mill/open and closing bubble chest at petsmart the other day and demanded we get one. I tried telling him, "but Fiance! There are no bubble chests on the floor of the Amazon River! The fish will be confused! And it's cheesy and the internet will hate it!!"

I think he's going to buy it and put it in anyway, like it will just appear overnight. He used the same tactic for the tribal skull hide in our snake tank, but it turned out to be the snake's favorite hide. Oh well...

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Virtual vanity

In the cosmic scheme of things, how much do I really care what someone else does with their tank? Doesn't move the needle, if I can't see it from my house I couldn't care less. Do I have opinions regarding what I like and what I don't? Heck, yeah, though 99% of the time I keep them to myself. Silly to air them out in the context of doing so simply for amusement, where divergent opinions are expected and part of the amusement, where no one is taking it too seriously (almost no one) and no offense need be taken? Shrug. :cool:

OK, not everyone's cup of tea, but there's masses and masses of worse things on the net, silly and otherwise.

Identify with most of this as "pet peeves" are by nature trivial in the "cosmic scheme of things", but at least the thread made no pretense otherwise, which is consistent with much/most that qualifies as "amusement" though it can hardly be said of everything on the forum. I was responding to the dismissive tone of the post, not its substance (that relatively speaking could be characterized like so much else, particularly including my own sentiments, as "silly").

I would hope that the standards applied/aspired to herein are a bit more discriminating/cordial than "worse things on the net". That type of argument can be used anytime for anything (e.g., beating a dog, no big thing, some people eat them) - rationalization in not the same as justification.

Some of us were having a bit of fun. If you didn't think it was fun, you didn't need to contribute.

And if you quickly scan how many threads lately have five pages of comments, you'll find that outside of the NBA finals (highly related to fishkeeping) the only other topic of late garnering that level of input is Zackcrack's much discussed future mbuna tank. So perhaps it begs the question: what is the point of the forum?

Silliness, obviously.

Even were that entirely true it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Between work, raising kids, sick friends/relatives, the planetary ecosystem circling the drain, etc., silliness may afford welcome relief.

As such, and in the interest of putting this thread back on the rails of its idly trivial but for some amusing intent, a few comments on that which drives me to the brink of madness when I am not otherwise working back-channels to foreign governments, fencing with multinationals, seducing journalists and haranguing my own government, etc. in what are likely vain attempts to avert global ecological calamity and the impending loss of half the vertebrate species on the planet to say nothing of socio-economic chaos:

Plastic plants must be at the top of the list. Having been raised (if not well then at least dedicatedly) by a botanist, as a fan of limnology, and given that my most enduringly satisfying moments in life have invariably occurred "outside", plastic plants, aquatic or otherwise, strike me as some sort of modern sacrilege. Really. I will forego discussion of the metaphysical irony therein which all may add to their lists of many blessings;

The use of plastic army men in dump filters. Don't worry, I won't mention any names Matt (oops), but I see this as a denigration of veterans everywhere who sacrificed and often died for freedom, capitalism, mineral rights, political ideology, against tyranny, ethnic cleansing, etc. but historically mostly in the name of "god". Yet more sacrilege it seems;

Plastic in general. Nothing like looking into an otherwise beautifully scaped tank with PVC pipes sticking out here and there like some typical urban waterway adorned with the cast-off detritus of modern "civilization". Rocks, shells, coconuts, even clay pots, anything but plastic pipe;

Day-glo substrate/anything. 'Nuf said;

Other people's tanks in general. Several problems here beginning with the fact that they're not mine (must have more tanks), no one does anything as well as I do, and the owners are invariably wasting the opportunity to do something meaningful and beautiful with their them just as they are with the rest of their lives. Will never understand why everyone doesn't make the choice to be a childless and unwed, morally, socially and otherwise impoverished, hedonistic, self-aggrandizing elitist with omniscient pretensions like yours truly.

That about covers it. Enjoy your weekend mortals.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member

Social interaction of the club members through the forum has always been great for the club. It keeps people in contact and close together. Lets them share ideas, fish, and other items.
It keeps you coming back for more and in doing so, makes you want to
go to the meetings and interact. Check the clubs without an open forum. Boring..... and not growing.
Think if we went back to the old "yahoo groups"... There are actually clubs that still use them..... LOL

Social interaction of the club members through the forum has always been great for the club. It keeps people in contact and close together. Lets them share ideas, fish, and other items..

I thought this thread, as it was originally set out by me, met this criteria.