• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What are your pet peeves about aquarium 'scaping?

I've been sitting back and watching this thread grow and being discussed, and now I feel like I have to put in my two cents.

I have to confess that not all of my tanks do NOT look like the tanks that I had at AquaMania :eek::eek::eek:

For me, each tank is different. It just depends on the purpose of the tank.

For example, not all my tanks have backgrounds, only ones that I'm going to use as a display/show tank or one that I'm going to enter for an aquascaping contest. The reason for this is that I have my tanks arranged in my fish room with some racks back to back. I'm only 4' 11", so me gaining access to my tanks is probably a lot more difficult than most people. Having no background on my tanks allow me to peek into a tank "from behind" to ensure that many of my fish that like to hide in the back of the tanks are still doing well. For those tanks that are on racks along a wall, I have them set away from the wall at a distance of at least 6 inches so I can peek in the back of the tanks. It also allows me to make sure that there are no dead fish stuck in the back of the tank, because how many times have we had a fish die in the back of our tanks and we have had no clue that it had happened?

As far as decor inside the tank, I really think that it's up to the eye of the beholder and the purpose of the tank. I personally like it when all the wood and rocks match because it doesn't draw my eye away from what I am truly trying to highlight in the tank. One of my tanks is a river tank and I have several 12 inch by 4 inch diameter bamboo caves that I use for trying to breed some Flash Plecos. I've managed to hide these caves with half a tankful of Malaysian driftwood and the tank has a very thin layer of gravel as the substrate. There are also some rocks to allow my Stiphodons to hide and have their territories. I do have some plants in pots, but they are hidden by Java ferns and Bolbitus. So for me, this tank is aquascaped for form and function. This also applies to my Multies/Petricolas/Debawi catfish tank where I have a glass bowl with marbles and an inverted slotted flowerpot hidden by huge stacks of lace rock.

I also have a community tank that has small flowerpots and clay breeding caves that are not hidden :eek: I mainly use this tank to hold my collection of smaller schooling fish that I like to watch and still provide some breeding areas or hiding places.

My boys even have a tank in the kitchen that has Nemo, a castle, plastic plants and coconut trees, and neon coloured and black gravel! :wacko:

And then finally, I have a "farm tank" with a collection of Pygmy Black Banded Sunfish and wild caught darters. It's basically a tank that I jammed packed with rarer hobby plants that I grow out so I can use in future aquascaping contests or to aquascape a display/show tank. There are no rocks or wood and there are several clay pots that I grow individual plants in. The tank is also littered with those plastic plant tags/labels that I use to identify that plants and the name of the person of whom I got these plants from.

So, essentially in my very long winded two cents, I'm sure that we all have pet peeves of how a tank should look. We all have preferences of what we like and don't like. But for me, it basically depends on the functions of my tanks and what I'm trying to attain.

Arlene

Last edited:

mscichlid

Founder
I would never insult anyone intentionally. I only stated methodologies that I would not be fond of or use. If I saw someone's tank set up as I described never would I say a word of discouragement. Not my place to. Do your thing by keeping your fish healthy.

neut

Members
Identify with most of this as "pet peeves" are by nature trivial in the "cosmic scheme of things", but at least the thread made no pretense otherwise, which is consistent with much/most that qualifies as "amusement" though it can hardly be said of everything on the forum. I was responding to the dismissive tone of the post, not its substance (that relatively speaking could be characterized like so much else, particularly including my own sentiments, as "silly").

I would hope that the standards applied/aspired to herein are a bit more discriminating/cordial than "worse things on the net". That type of argument can be used anytime for anything (e.g., beating a dog, no big thing, some people eat them) - rationalization in not the same as justification.
Not sure I follow all of this in the context of a response to my earlier post-- but, just for the record, the general meaning of my comments above was, in other words, to say I found this thread to be innocuous and entertaining, have my own particular set of prejudices regarding tank decor, but what someone else does with their tank is up to them, and I don't see why anyone should take this thread so seriously as to take offense or to call it silly.

neut

Members
My boys even have a tank in the kitchen that has Nemo, a castle, plastic plants and coconut trees, and neon coloured and black gravel!
Guess we all have to start somewhere. Had tanks as a kid, don't remember the decor exactly, but I can see myself at the time thinking some submarines and battleships would be cool. :lol:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
One of my best memories from my childhood is sitting and watching the bubbles come out of the diver in my parents tank. I think that held my attention more than the fish.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Irony enow for all

Not sure I follow all of this in the context of a response to my earlier post-- but, just for the record, the general meaning of my comments above was, in other words, to say I found this thread to be innocuous and entertaining, have my own particular set of prejudices regarding tank decor, but what someone else does with their tank is up to them, and I don't see why anyone should take this thread so seriously as to take offense or to call it silly.

'Twas not intended solely as a response to your post as you were not the one that chose to characterize others as "silly". Lest anyone forget, everyone here is keeping fish in glass boxes, which I dare say much of the world (including many CCA members) views as sheer folly. But it's largely harmless, keeps some off the streets, celebrates nature in a rather intimate way, and has at its heart the enduring miracle of procreation, to name a few of its attributes. And it beats all h*ll out of bingo, bowiing, tv, and about a zillion other trivial pursuits IMO/E. What's not to like? (Don't answer that, too much mildly inherent SM that comes with the territory to be of any service).

Last edited:

Yael

Members
Well my feelings were a bit bruised when I put up a pic of my tank that I'd thought through very carefully with the occupants in mind (as well as my own enjoyment) only to be told it was 'wrong' for my fish by someone who didn't really even know the nature of the fish I had in particular.

I guess the comments on here that I agree with the most are 1) think of what the fish need first, 2) then please your own sense of what looks good to you.

DBLN8

Members
Well my feelings were a bit bruised when I put up a pic of my tank that I'd thought through very carefully with the occupants in mind (as well as my own enjoyment) only to be told it was 'wrong' for my fish by someone who didn't really even know the nature of the fish I had in particular.

I guess the comments on here that I agree with the most are 1) think of what the fish need first, 2) then please your own sense of what looks good to you.

+1

neut

Members
Actually, that's another thing on my list, people handing out tactless and misguided criticism/advice on fish they've never kept, tanks they can only wish they had, and when no one asked them in the first place.

If there's one thing I know about fishkeeping, it's that there's more than one way to do things. :D

I think that was me. And if I bruised feelings, I certainly apologize. I always try to be sensitive when making comments (by adding things like just my two cents; everyone has different opinions, just a thought) but perhaps it wasn't enough. Sorry . . . :(

Yael

Members
apology accepted - what bugged me the most is the thing I planned for on purpose with much research - the open middle area for the female afra that like open water to school - is what you told me I shouldn't have. The rest is just a question of likes/taste but that one was 'for the fish'.

And to illustrate why 'for the fish' is important, now that the female aftra occupy this space my other species that tended to hide in the rocks are now out and more active more often. It's like the afra females act like dithers to tell the rest of the fish it's safe. Had I closed everything off like I had in my last tank I'd see way less of all of my fish. Even the syno cats are out much more than they used to be.

I think that since we keep fish captive that it behoves us to try to know as much as possible about how they see their world. It makes it better for them and us.