• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

We've got kittens...!

eden2020

Members
Ok.. so maybe not the correct way to say it, but almost 20 years after seeing them as a teenager and not being able to afford them, we have successfully spawned our Syno Multis. I was crazy excited. My wife happened to be right there with me when I discovered them. Thanks to Todd (aka ToddnBecka) for selling us a few nice Synos a while back to go with the ones we already had.

In the tank that houses the Synos, we have bred Ruby Reds, and Yellow Labs, but it was the non-breeding Deep Water Hap group that came through for us. For months we never had any luck with our Deep Water Haps, and then two weeks ago, we had 4 females holding. I didn't know I had 4 female deep h2o Haps. LOL A couple of females I could have swore were males due to their color. But sure enough, one mom dropped 3 kittens for us. Another is still holding, and the other two spit too early and fear they were all eaten- whatever they were holding. But still.. really excited. Christmas in Feb!

-Marc and family..

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Congrats to you and the family. Now you are at the next level. Enjoy as it is truly amazing to see.

verbal

CCA Members
Very cool. Syno multies are definitely on my list of fish I would like to try at some point.

eden2020

Members
Syno..

Thanks! Yes, the Syno Multis are by far my favorite Syno. I also have about 10 Petricolas that we brought home from the expo (in a different tank of course). And I have made a habit to find and keep others. We have a couple Ocellifers, three or four pretty big Decorus (really sweet cat too), a couple large Eupterus, and a few recues from Petsmart that I don't even know what they are..

But for tank mates (for larger Haps and stuff) the Multis are sweet. They are out and about, school, and even breed for you!. The Petricolas for smaller tanks are awesome, and for the really big fish, the others I mentioned have been a treat.

So far so good, they are swimmin around and eating today. Still kinda shocked we have them, and how small they are..

-Marc and family..

Shane

Members
Congrats Marc, even among catfish folks this type of spawning is still a big deal. Well done.
-Shane

eden2020

Members
Synos..

Yes.. sorry.. the ACA. It was awesome. We met lots of people there, enjoyed the displays, tanks, showroom, everything. Cool thing is, my wife and sons went too, so we had lunch and hung out for a few hours.

Minifoot- Not sure if they were from you or not. Picked the Petricolas up from the tanks in the sale room, left hand side back wall.

Shane- yes.. thanks. I agree. It seems like you can try real hard to set up the right conditions for breeding but it seems like it comes down to patience and a little luck. Probably the single coolest thing we have done as a family when it comes to keeping fish. Prior to that it was breeding haps or Mbuna. But this combined both. Still super excited.

BTW- when my 8 year old got home from school, my wife told him about the "kittens". He went down to see them and claimed all three... what else can you expect. I had to remind him that all kittens are cute but they grow up.. LOL

-marc and family

toddnbecka

Members
Happy to hear they finally got busy for you. The fry grow relatively fast when they're small, then slow down considerably about halfway to adult size. Once they start they seem to keep going as long as the cichlids do.

eden2020

Members
Petricola...

If that was you, then thanks again. All 10 made it and are still going strong. Currently housed in a 20L with some small clown loaches and a small Multipunctatus. The multi is the bulldog of the litter and seems to have an identity crisis due to the petricola bros and sis'.

My older son has two very large Petricolas by their standard and seem to have taken to an upturned clay pot. They go into the pot and back out. Don't know if they laid or scattered eggs or not.. Maybe someday we will get those going too..

-Marc

toddnbecka

Members
Ya, I have some of Caleb's petricola (or are they lucipinnis?) growing out too. Saw them for the first time since I set up the 220 (last year) when I shook them loose from inside a resin "rock" ornament a couple days ago.

minifoot77

Members
Ya, I have some of Caleb's petricola (or are they lucipinnis?) growing out too. Saw them for the first time since I set up the 220 (last year) when I shook them loose from inside a resin "rock" ornament a couple days ago.

i was told both but i never heard of a lucipinni bein more than 5"

toddnbecka

Members
Petricola have a different pattern of spots, they're easy to tell apart when they're adults. Another year or so and they should be mature enough to tell.

toddnbecka

Members
Petricola have a denser pattern of smaller spots than lucipinnis. Size/number of spots may vary, but the overall appearance is distinctly different IME.

fishman13

Members
arent those the catfish that eat mbuna eggs while they are breeding and replace the mbuna eggs with thier eggs?