• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water change issues

maddog10

Members
I have done large water changes and have never noticed this (probably see it this weekend *jinx*). I use well water and the temp is in the low 60's to upper 50's. I worry about the temperature differential more than anything else, but I have lowered the tank temps by as much as 10 degrees with no ill effects.

It is a good idea to get a water report once in a while. Never hurts to know what is in your water. As a side note - Recent reports have shown that bottled water has been known to contain pesticides, traces of medicines, radioactive isotopes and all kinds of wonderful things.

Lively

Members
I have done large water changes and have never noticed this (probably see it this weekend *jinx*). I use well water and the temp is in the low 60's to upper 50's. I worry about the temperature differential more than anything else, but I have lowered the tank temps by as much as 10 degrees with no ill effects.

It is a good idea to get a water report once in a while. Never hurts to know what is in your water. As a side note - Recent reports have shown that bottled water has been known to contain pesticides, traces of medicines, radioactive isotopes and all kinds of wonderful things.

All that stuff has been found in well water as well as many common meds. Not as common, but it's been found.

iamzrad

Members
Hmmm.
Never had this problem, small or large water changes.
I use my python, water going into tank is right around 75ish, or slightly around "lukewarm" feel.
0ppm on all Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia levels. Water comes out at around pH 7.2

And I use Baltimore City water!, gah, though I am located in Baltimore County.

Lively

Members
This is true, municipal water can have that stuff and people pay for it. Heck, most bottled water is municipal and/or well water that may or may not be filtered again.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
That's weird dude! I run my hose directly into my Juveniles and Fry tanks with no prob and I live in Montgomery County. I think both Julie and JR is right on this one. The temperature does effect the amount of bubbles in the water. Storing water is a good idea and even rain water like the famous Sonny disposition preaches is good.

Here is another scenario, I have a 30 and 20 gallon tank upstairs in my dinning room. I can't hook up a hose to my kitchen sink for some apparent reason, so I tend to do everything manually.

Meaning, I use buckets, but I don't have any problems at all with the water or excessive bubbles. It only happens in my Fish room downstairs where I run my hose from the laundry room to my tanks, that I witness the bubbles you speak of.

Nevertheless, like I said before you might have to resort to buckets than using the hose. I know you don't have the space to store water, but nothing wrong with buying lots of buckets and filling them up with water and letting them sit out on your balcony for a few days.

Just a thought.;)

Richard

cmcpart0422

Members
I never thought about putting them on the balcony to let them sit. Im going to try that. As for aerator, if you mean the kind on sinks I see where you are coming from but I use the bathtub which doesnt have anything like that.

Julie

Members
Actually the aerator would be like spraying the water and would be a good thing.

Letting the water sit on the balcony would be of a couple of benefits... can use cold water as it'll warm up on it's own, lose the air bubbles, and also it'll degas the Chlorine on it's own! A win all around!!

btw, when I set up tanks in most hotels(like at the cafish convention), there's no way to keep the airbubbles from forming in the tanks. I just keep the sponge filters running, and try and not let the fish go until a few hours later.

everytime I did a water change I used to fill the tank back up with a hose. I would always get bubbles on the fish. Then I just started filling up buckets using the spray nozzel from the kitchen sink faucet and ever since then I have never had no issues with buubles. I do about 40-50% every 4-5 days.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Ya - a stink bomb! Sweet Mountian Virginia well water - now that's the way to do it.
lol tell that city boy again lol the only chlorine in water that country folks see would be in a pool. :D if im not mistaken ft meade discontinued it on their base as due to a study. something about it softens bones over time causing them to become brittle or something like that. i do remember that in the study a tell tale sign in the bone damage to humans were the brown spots on teeth.

Jumbie

Members
lol tell that city boy again lol the only chlorine in water that country folks see would be in a pool. :D if im not mistaken ft meade discontinued it on their base as due to a study. something about it softens bones over time causing them to become brittle or something like that. i do remember that in the study a tell tale sign in the bone damage to humans were the brown spots on teeth.

My cousin told me that his family only drinks bottle water; his dentist had told him that his kid’s teeth were very weak because of the bottle water. She told him that his kids need to drink more tap water so their bones would not become brittle.

Lively

Members
I think she is wrong about the bones but right about the teeth - well and bottled water don't normally have flouride added. We use the mouthwash with flouride added to combat that, I think it is act. Common here since almost everyone is on well water.

marge618

CCA member
Hmmm.
Never had this problem, small or large water changes.
I use my python, water going into tank is right around 75ish, or slightly around "lukewarm" feel.
0ppm on all Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia levels. Water comes out at around pH 7.2

And I use Baltimore City water!, gah, though I am located in Baltimore County.

I am doing the same here in Catonsville (python, lukewarm 75ish, Balt County using Balt City water). I would like to see the EPA report for our area. Guess it's time for a bit more research.