• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Want some advice

fischfan13

Banned
#1 and, IMO, most important...
Do not feed for at least two days before the power is turned off.

Large water change before the power is turned off.

A battery operated pump would help immensely. The water needs to be agitated and oxygenated.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Whoa...

What are we talking about? Fresh, salt, big tank, little tank, planted, bare, lots of fish, a few fish, one tank, many? Fasting and a water change might be enough, also some species are far more tolerant (guppies) than others (discus).

Generator definitely will cover all the bases but may not be necessary.

MonteSS

Members
6-8 hours, I would not worry. If you keep temps high, you may want to lower them a bit now so fish get used to cooler water.

....Bill

Plenipotentiary-at-large
If it were me I'd fat them for 24 hours, do a partial water change and run ...

...an extension cord from somewhere to run an air pump with a vigorous stream or two of bubbles. Course if you can get an extension cord then you can probably run your filter. Alternately you might get an AC/DC converter from Radio Shack to plug into an auto/truck cigarette lighter to do the same thing. They're cheap and regularly handy items to have. Guessing you could run an air pump for hours and hours and hours off a car battery....could always fire it up a couple times during the day just to be safe.

Luck - have a 55 myself just like the one you describe minus the rainbows.

illpoet

Members
you can go to a bait and tackle store and buy a battery operated air pump that can run for 30 hours on one set of batteries for around 15.00.

fischfan13

Banned
...an extension cord from somewhere to run an air pump with a vigorous stream or two of bubbles. Course if you can get an extension cord then you can probably run your filter. Alternately you might get an AC/DC converter from Radio Shack to plug into an auto/truck cigarette lighter to do the same thing. They're cheap and regularly handy items to have. Guessing you could run an air pump for hours and hours and hours off a car battery....could always fire it up a couple times during the day just to be safe.

Luck - have a 55 myself just like the one you describe minus the rainbows.
If it were me I'd fat them for 24 hours, do a partial water change and run ...

Definitely disagree with the subtitle that you posted that is not within your post.
"Fat them".
Are you saying to "fatten" them up?
IMO a very bad idea as there will possibly be Zilch for filtration and the large cichlid, Discus in this case, will be dropping its unfiltered waste and making ammonia levels rise from the food that you fattened them up with.

fischfan13

Banned
...particularly if this rates as a "crisis".

Yes, because before surgery I would hate for you to recommend that I "fat" for the next 24 hours...God only know I don't need to be doing that anymore.

I would also worry that you would ask for tests on my live(r), my hear(t) and my (b)rain...:lol:.