• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

USPS lost my fish!

MonteSS

Members
Had $200 in fish shipped from NC to VA by Priority Mail on Wednesday. Should have arrived on Friday or Saturday latest. Well no fish today. Hopefully will arrive Monday and some will still be alive.

They "should" be OK if they stay out of the heat. They are small Apistos and Angels and were not fed 2 days prior and individually bagged with oxygen. The 25 Blue tetras were in one big bag and may not fair so well.

....Bill

Cartel

Members
Although not perfect I have had much better luck with FedEx then any other company in general. I also like thier tracking service better. Good luck hope everthing turns out good.

Just realized you did priority. They don't make any promises with that service.

emartin

Members
For short distances like that next time I would do UPS ground. They should arrive next day or second day for short distances like that, and have complete tracking so you know where your package is at all times.

Anyway hopefully you will get your fish on Monday.

If you have any losses you could very well get money back from USPS. Was the package insured?

BevN

Members
Avoid shipping UPS if the temps are up there. The temps in the back of those trucks go through the roof.

In all honesty if your going to go with the postal service it's pointless to pay for Express shipping anymore. We have been using flat rate priority with better delivery times than express...go figure. We have even shipped discus young to California with no problems. We use breather bags with everything we can.

We have had fish get lost for two weeks in shipping and arrive alive. They screwed up on delivering them and returned them to me. I still have those fish a year later so you might get lucky and get a box of live fish.

emartin

Members
Avoid shipping UPS if the temps are up there. The temps in the back of those trucks go through the roof.
Same with FedEx... I've had packages delivered via fedex in the summer with really hot bags of fish inside them... (I got them right off the truck, the boxes didn't sit outside or anything). Luckily all survived.

That's why I always just pickup the fish at my local FedEx or UPS outlet. There's one for each of them within 10-15minutes of me and it is cheaper shipping that way and better for the fish since I can just go in the morning and pick up the fish instead of waiting for the fish to be delivered sometime between 9am and 7pm...

Julie

Members
One other thing I avoid doing is shipping out to arrive on Friday. UPS does NOT deliver on Saturdays as a rule, so you are definitely stuck till Monday.

And like the others, I've had fish come back to me still swimming! Even one frontosa that was in a smash box with only about 1 cup of water left, and this was NOT a fry, but a 4 inch fish!!

Best of luck!!

cmcpart0422

Members
Like everyone else is saying you may get lucky and get them alive. I have sent packages flat rate that get lost for 7 days and still make it alive.

toddnbecka

Members
I never ship anything live out later than Tuesday. Saturday or Monday are the best days IME; the USPS still processes mail on Sundays, but w/out any pickups or deliveries that day it seems to move along faster.
It mainly depends on how the fish were packed, but I'd put better odds on the cichlids than the tetras.

MonteSS

Members
Box arrived today. Mostly good news.

Only casualties were the tetras. All the Apistos and Angels look to be OK.

Thanks for all the help.

Most are hiding but here are two of the four wild Peruvian Angels right out of the bag.

Picture1573.jpg

...Bill

MonteSS

Members
I never had Angels before. These guys are not shy at all. About 1/2 dollars size and eating already.

Apistos are exploring all the nooks and crannies and I cant tell one from another yet. Especially the females.

I got All F0 for the 75g.....
PAIR Baenschi "Inka 50"
TRIO Apisto. Bitaeniata "Shushupe"
TRIO Apisto Cacatuoides
And Also a pair of slightly rarer Apisto Jutai for another tank. I think the male Jutai has amonia burn to his gills :(. Hopefully he can recover

Thanks...Bill